Cigar City - Hunahpu day 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBBrewer

Reaction score
It looks like the time is coming up for another great release of Cigar Cities famous Hunahpu. Here is a link to the event that they put on every year. It does not give a lot of detail yet, but I am sure it will as it gets closer. It is an all day event with basically a party in their parking lot with many commercial beers being poured along with homebrew clubs pouring their brews. I was thinking it would be nice to start a roll call for all that would be attending from Homebrewtalk.com and also to possibly have a meet and greet while there. They do allow you to bring coolers and lawn chairs and lounge around while waiting for the bottle release. If you follow their facebook page, they give pretty decent updates on there. Hope to see and enjoy some good brews with fellow HBT members.

Cheers,
Tbbrewer

Hunahpu Day link:
http://cigarcitybrewing.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=34&Itemid=33

Facebook link:
https://www.facebook.com/cigarcitybeer

Really looking forward to meeting and sharing some brews with fellow HBT members.

last year there was a beer festival that led up to hunahpu's day-... is the beer festival revived?

i'm kicking myself in the ass for not going last year. i hope to see you there!

last year there was a beer festival that led up to hunahpu's day-... is the beer festival revived?

i'm kicking myself in the ass for not going last year. i hope to see you there!

Yes, that is occurring again, check online for Tampa Bay Beer Week. I think the Cigar City event is at the end of the Beer Week. There is also a link to the Tampa Bay Beer Week on Facebook.

Yes, Tampa beer week is back and this year it extends to Sunday. Seriously thinking of driving back Monday instead of Sunday because of it. That and it was a bite in the tail driving Sunday after all the drinking at Hunahpu. 6:30am till about 8 at night.

Yes, Tampa beer week is back and this year it extends to Sunday. Seriously thinking of driving back Monday instead of Sunday because of it. That and it was a bite in the tail driving Sunday after all the drinking at Hunahpu. 6:30am till about 8 at night.

Stick around and enjoy some brews. That is a painful drive.

Also leading up to the TB Beer Week is the BFBC competition. http://www.bestfloridabeer.org/
The Tampa Bay area is really becoming the beer destination in Florida.
There are now about 10 nano/micro breweries in production with several more on the horizon. Good time to be a beer lover / brewer in FLA!!!

Also leading up to the TB Beer Week is the BFBC competition. http://www.bestfloridabeer.org/
The Tampa Bay area is really becoming the beer destination in Florida.
There are now about 10 nano/micro breweries in production with several more on the horizon. Good time to be a beer lover / brewer in FLA!!!

Are you entering any beers in this?

Yeah, the Tampa Bay area is a nice beer destination.

TBBrewer said:
Would any body be up for a bottle share while in the parking lot waiting?

You kidding???? That's half the fun! Last year we got there about 6:30 and made some great friends. We'll be bringing a 3 gall keg and some bottles.

You kidding???? That's half the fun! Last year we got there about 6:30 and made some great friends. We'll be bringing a 3 gall keg and some bottles.

Awesome! I look forward to sharing and enjoying some brews with some fellow hbt members. Should we wear name tags with out hbt name on it? :)

Would any body be up for a bottle share while in the parking lot waiting?

I thought this was one of the main reasons to come? This will be my first time, and from everything I have heard people bring lots of stuff to share while waiting, no? I was planning to bring a cooler full of goodies to enjoy.

As a quick question related to this, what are the logistics of bringing stuff? I assume we won't be able to park at the brewery.

I thought this was one of the main reasons to come? This will be my first time, and from everything I have heard people bring lots of stuff to share while waiting, no? I was planning to bring a cooler full of goodies to enjoy.

As a quick question related to this, what are the logistics of bringing stuff? I assume we won't be able to park at the brewery.

Um, some do it that way. Last year, I got their and had a few beers, got our voucher for the bottles, left and went and had lunch, then came back and had a few brews and got our bottles. Some stay for the long haul. I plan on sticking around and sharing some brews this year. There is very limited parking at the brewery. Every year it gets bigger and hopefully than plan for this. We parked in the home depot parking lot behind the brewery, but that filled up too. If I recall, they had a shuttle to, but dont recall the details. Might be able to google the release last year and see if the info from last year is still posted somewhere. If you are staying at a place somewhat close to the brewery, a cab is your best option.

We are staying at the Hilton. We let them know we are staying there that night and park in their parking lot then take the hotel shuttle bus to the brewery.

Bottle sharing is everywhere in line. And inside too, but there is too much good stuff on tap. Last year we stayed until about 5, got our bottles on the way out, and took the hotel shuttle back.

Just plan on thick, bready, filling snacks to bring. There are food trucks inside, but we are talking 4-5 hours of drinking before the gates open.

We bring coolers with sandwiches, snacks, and lots of water.

Plenty of beers to share and several of the local brewing clubs were invited to put up booths and pour free beers as well. There will be a stage with live music and several food trucks vending their wares. Parking blows even if you get there early. I had my wife drop me off and pick me up at the end of the day. Didn't have to park and was not in any shape to drive anyway. It's a PARTY for sure.

And yes I have entered a bourbon barrel aged extra stout and a tripel. I took second place in the English Brown category last year for a mild I made. Brewing it again this weekend but won't be ready for this comp.

I went last year and had a blast; pending this year but definitely going to try to make it! One tip for anyone casper white as I am...bring plenty of strong sunblock. The south florida sun destroyed spf30...thank god I had plenty to drink to ease the pain ha. Staying in the Hilton, walking to CCBC is easy 5min. We got in line right at 6am, like 10 people already there getting things started. Kudos to CCBC for the donuts and Café con leche!

Wow, you guys get their crazy early! I will surely see you guys, but not sure if it will be when the sun is coming up.

You must have been about 5 people ahead of us!
Cool , yeah we were very close:

IMG_2574.JPG

Did a brewery tour at CCB today. We got to try this year's Hunahpu straight out of the zwickel valve. Quite yummy!

zwickel.jpg

Ok. We are within 1 month of Hunahpu Day. Here's our official roll call!!

I'm in. Expected arrival time: 6:00 AM. In tow will be 1X3 gallon keg of homebrew and a handful of bottles.

There will be 3 or 4 area homebrew clubs out pouring beers all day. I will be at the Tampa Bay B.E.E.R.S. tent pouring off 8 or 10 kegs. Be sure to come by and say high.

There will be 3 or 4 area homebrew clubs out pouring beers all day. I will be at the Tampa Bay B.E.E.R.S. tent pouring off 8 or 10 kegs. Be sure to come by and say high.

I will be helping with the Pubguild tent along with a few others. I think we are bringing 10 kegs also. Looking forward to meeting some other HBT members.

Just booked a room at the HoJo next to the longhorn on Spruce st. for two nights. Got at least four buddies of mine carpooling down. I'm envisioning mayhem. It may be a fleabag hotel but at least it's within stumbling distance. :)

I will be there. Still trying to work out the details. Will be there early for a bottle share on the side walk.

TB,

Be sure to let me know if there is anything in Atlanta here you want me to bring down.

Got a orange pale ale, lemon wheat, and strawberry kolsch that will be kegged next week. The best of the three will be coming to Tampa next month.

TB,

Be sure to let me know if there is anything in Atlanta here you want me to bring down.

Got a orange pale ale, lemon wheat, and strawberry kolsch that will be kegged next week. The best of the three will be coming to Tampa next month.

Will do. I will do some looking. Does Terrapin or Redbrick do any brewery release only beers? I will have that Zhukov for you.

TBBrewer said:
Will do. I will do some looking. Does Terrapin or Redbrick do any brewery release only beers? I will have that Zhukov for you.

Nope. Stupid GA laws. You can't sell out of breweries. All beer must be sold through the distributor.

But we have wineries who sell, so you figure it out.

Back