Super High Gravity Beers - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Super High Gravity Beers

Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Brewing
Recipes 

Jan 2013

Hi All,

I am considering trying a Barley Wine type beer and I want to get an OG around 1.1 or so and really try to get a FG of around 1.01 or less. I want to use pretty much just malted barley and maybe a few sugar additives like molasses but try to get a majority of those sugars from the barley.

My question is theoretically I am going need to use something like 20lbs + and my Mash Tun I believe can handle it (10 gallon cooler with false bottom). But my brew pot is only 5 gallons.

What is the forum's experience with this? Is a 5 gallon pot big enough for this, am I even going to be able to get the sugar to water ratio I want just adding more and more grains like that without making syrup?

Thanks,
~Brewing

Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Milwaukee
Liked 2638 Times on 1553 Posts

I max out the mash tun, and make up the difference with extract. I also adjust the size of the batch to accommodate the size of the kettle.

Most recently, I did a 3.5 gal batch of an all-maris otter barleywine. I figure after trub loss, i should be able to fill my 3-gal jug up to the tippity-top for bulk aging. I also added 3.15 lbs of northern Brewer's maris otter extract and boiled for 3.5 hours.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
HopOnHops
Recipes 

May 2012
Inglewood, Ca
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Theoretically with a 10 gal mash tun you could make 5 gals of 1.1 SG wort. However your preboil volume would be higher than 5 gal.

Scaling down your batch size seems like a good idea since your pot can only hold 5 gallons. Hell I made a 1.1 ris the other day that lost 1 gallon due to blowoff so maybe if I had a smaller batch size less would have been spit out of the fermenter

Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Milwaukee
Liked 2638 Times on 1553 Posts

What about a partigyle? Wind up with 2 or so gallons of 1.100+ barleywine and a separate batch of average gravity brew?

Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Be very careful about using things like molasses in your beer. Even a tiny addition can have a huge flavor impact (and not in a good way).

You'll probably want a larger boil pot/kettle for this batch. In order to properly mash/sparge 20# of grain that is. Unless you do a partigyle that is, which can present you with a different set of difficulties.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Brewing
Recipes 

Jan 2013

Any thoughts on doing two 2.5 gallon batches and then combining them?

If I mash/sparge 12# grains or so and yield 3 gallons or so, I can boil off the rest to 2.5 and then do another batch just like it and combine in the fermenter.

What is partigyle?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
looneybomber
Recipes 

Feb 2012
lawrence, ks
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Doing two 2.5 gal batches allows you to either 1) combine them for one 5 gal batch, or 2) try different things with the other half like using a different yeast, oak aging, etc...
Or you could spend another $30 and buy a 5 gal pot. You could boil 7 gal of wort in two 5 gal pots.
Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010

You can usually get a 32-40 quart aluminum pot from a restaurant supply store for under $50. That can easily be converted into a kettle and used for all your 5 gallon batches (especially if you get the 40 quart).

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
BrewinHooligan
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Mesa, AZ
Liked 1738 Times on 1162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
You can usually get a 32-40 quart aluminum pot from a restaurant supply store for under $50. That can easily be converted into a kettle and used for all your 5 gallon batches (especially if you get the 40 quart).
+1, I actually use a 40qt aluminum tamale pot that I bought for $20 on sale at a local grocery store (Kroger). If I had to to it over again, I would have spent a little more and gotten a 10 gallon pot though so I don't have to worry about boilovers as much.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 01-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
+1, I actually use a 40qt aluminum tamale pot that I bought for $20 on sale at a local grocery store (Kroger). If I had to to it over again, I would have spent a little more and gotten a 10 gallon pot though so I don't have to worry about boilovers as much.
Ummmm, you do know that 40 quarts IS 10 gallons, right?

IMO/IME, you want to go with thicker wall aluminum pots. The 4mm thick pot I converted into a kettle is still going strong. It will cost more than the thin one, but it won't get F'd up like the thin ones tend to. There's at least a few threads from people having warped/distorted aluminum pots. Those were the tin walled ones. The 4mm thick pots are made to be used all day long, in restaurants.

Fermenting
K1: