Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cologne Kolsch

Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
Upthewazzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Cologne Kolsch

Just ordered up the Cologne Kolsch extract kit from Midwest Supplies. Anyone have any experience/pointers for this one? It'll be my second brew, the first one was the Autumn Amber Ale thats sitting in the carboy right now finishing up. I read that the Cologne Kolsch needs to be lagered after its done fermenting, is 45F cold enough to get it crisp and clean? And how long do you think it should sit in the cold, a month?

Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Ideally ferment in the mid to low 60's (lower is better) and the lager at just above freezing for at least 3 weeks - Ideally. That being said, 45 will work fine, it just will likely take longer - particularly to clear. Before I had a proper lagering set up, I'd brew lagers in the basement (50 F) and then keg them and then they would sit for a couple months before going on tap. Then I'd give them one week in the kegerator to just sit there, then I'd start enjoying. It worked well enough

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Upthewazzu
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Sweet, thanks!

Would doing a late malt extract addition be the way to go here?

Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 22

If you are looking to keep the color very light and authentic, then yes, late malt addition is a good idea
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Ferment cool and use a blowoff tube anyways. That Kolsch yeast, if that's what you're using, can be a intense top cropper if I remember correctly. Oh, and the krausen will likely last pretty much forever. You can rack from underneath it.

And, I had some trouble getting that yeast to clear up without a proper lagering setup. An option to speed that up/help out would be some clarifying agents like isinglass. I would actually recommend it.

Enjoy! I love a good Kolsch!