Simcoe/Maris Otter FWH/Hopburst SMASH - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Simcoe/Maris Otter FWH/Hopburst SMASH

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
BBFCreatureFM
 
BBFCreatureFM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Miami, FL
Posts: 34
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



So I bought a pound of Simcoe hops and a mess of Maris Otter. I am a relatively new AG brewer (5 batches), and know already that I absolutely love this hop and this grain, but I would like to do a SMASH. I am fully on board that this is the best way to learn about my ingredients. I also bought some Mosaic, but I plan to brew a 7 gallon Simcoe/MO FWH IPA, then split it into a 5 gallon "true" SMASH, and 2 separate gallons (in a separate carboy) that are dry-hopped with Mosaic.

I also plan (and I know this will piss off some SMASH enthusiasts) to *lightly* toast a few pounds of the Maris Otter for the single mash. Normally, my IPAs have other malts and a bit of body. I like this, and want some malt in the final product.

Here is what I am looking at:

14 lbs Maris Otter [87.5% of grain]
2 lbs Maris Otter (toasted at 350 for 20 minutes) [12.5% of grain]
0.5 oz Simcoe First Wort Hop 60 min. [33 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 20 min. [16.5 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 15 min. [14.9 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 10 min. [10.9 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 5 min. [6 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe flameout steep (20 min) [0 IBU]

Dryhop 5 gallons with 1.5 oz Simcoe.

Move another 2 gallons to a different carboy and dryhop (eventually) with 1 oz Mosaic.

Beersmith says the two different beers are 66.5 IBUs (without Beersmith accounting for the flameout addition). This is a 4.7 ABV beer.

I don't know how to build the toasting into Beersmith. Is this enough? I am toasting after milling.

Any thoughts or comments on the recipe(s)? Any thoughts on mash temp, if I want some body and malt presence? Any thoughts on my toasting?

Thanks in advance.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
beerspitnight
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Beijing, China
Posts: 316
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFCreatureFM View Post
So I bought a pound of Simcoe hops and a mess of Maris Otter. I am a relatively new AG brewer (5 batches), and know already that I absolutely love this hop and this grain, but I would like to do a SMASH. I am fully on board that this is the best way to learn about my ingredients. I also bought some Mosaic, but I plan to brew a 7 gallon Simcoe/MO FWH IPA, then split it into a 5 gallon "true" SMASH, and 2 separate gallons (in a separate carboy) that are dry-hopped with Mosaic.

I also plan (and I know this will piss off some SMASH enthusiasts) to *lightly* toast a few pounds of the Maris Otter for the single mash. Normally, my IPAs have other malts and a bit of body. I like this, and want some malt in the final product.

Here is what I am looking at:

14 lbs Maris Otter [87.5% of grain]
2 lbs Maris Otter (toasted at 350 for 20 minutes) [12.5% of grain]
0.5 oz Simcoe First Wort Hop 60 min. [33 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 20 min. [16.5 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 15 min. [14.9 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 10 min. [10.9 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 5 min. [6 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe flameout steep (20 min) [0 IBU]

Dryhop 5 gallons with 1.5 oz Simcoe.

Move another 2 gallons to a different carboy and dryhop (eventually) with 1 oz Mosaic.

Beersmith says the two different beers are 66.5 IBUs (without Beersmith accounting for the flameout addition). This is a 4.7 ABV beer.

I don't know how to build the toasting into Beersmith. Is this enough? I am toasting after milling.

Any thoughts or comments on the recipe(s)? Any thoughts on mash temp, if I want some body and malt presence? Any thoughts on my toasting?

Thanks in advance.
Perhaps mash at 154.
I think 66IBUs for a 4.7% beer is a bit rough, but perhaps it isn't for your tastes.
__________________
Dirty City Brewing Collective
"American Beer with Socialist Characteristics"
Primary 1 - Year of the Snake Stout
Primary 2 - Liam's Celebration Rye Ale 2013
Keg 1 -American XXXXXIPA- Keg 2 -Honey Porter Keg 3 - Sanitizer
On Deck Black IPA -

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
BBFCreatureFM
 
BBFCreatureFM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Miami, FL
Posts: 34
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I read Beersmith incorrectly. It's a 6% beer. But I take your point, especially because the IBU calculation does not take into account flameout hops. Maybe I'll back it off a little more.
__________________
-----------------------------------
Primary 1: Belgian Blonde
Primary 2: Apricot Belgian Blonde
Primary 3: Ed Wort's Aphelwein

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
brewswellwithothers
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Marietta, GA
Posts: 64
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Flameout hops aren't going to add anything to the IBU's just yummy aroma.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
GrogNerd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Sterling, VA
Posts: 6,082
Liked 2119 Times on 1327 Posts


toasting the MO isn't violating SMaSH protocol

on the fence about Crystal MO
__________________
"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Fresh Squee Zed IPA - bottle conditioning: LoCo Foot Barleywine, Basque cider - lagering : Schwarzbier - fermenting: apple wine, Skeeter Pee - on deck: Grodziskie

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
TyTanium
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Posts: 3,952
Liked 554 Times on 390 Posts


If you want to get a feel for the malt, I'd back off of the hops to let some of the MO subtleties shine through. Maybe drop the 15 and 5 min additions.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Xpertskir
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 2,224
Liked 454 Times on 292 Posts


the 66 IBUs will not taste that way because of FWH...I think that your recipe looks great as is, plus toasting the MO will raise your FG and leave more sweetness to balance the IBU's. The only thing I would change is the dry hop, go with 3 ounces minimum.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
AnchorBock
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Minneapolis
Posts: 568
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFCreatureFM View Post
So I bought a pound of Simcoe hops and a mess of Maris Otter. I am a relatively new AG brewer (5 batches), and know already that I absolutely love this hop and this grain, but I would like to do a SMASH. I am fully on board that this is the best way to learn about my ingredients. I also bought some Mosaic, but I plan to brew a 7 gallon Simcoe/MO FWH IPA, then split it into a 5 gallon "true" SMASH, and 2 separate gallons (in a separate carboy) that are dry-hopped with Mosaic.

I also plan (and I know this will piss off some SMASH enthusiasts) to *lightly* toast a few pounds of the Maris Otter for the single mash. Normally, my IPAs have other malts and a bit of body. I like this, and want some malt in the final product.

Here is what I am looking at:

14 lbs Maris Otter [87.5% of grain]
2 lbs Maris Otter (toasted at 350 for 20 minutes) [12.5% of grain]
0.5 oz Simcoe First Wort Hop 60 min. [33 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 20 min. [16.5 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 15 min. [14.9 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 10 min. [10.9 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 5 min. [6 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe flameout steep (20 min) [0 IBU]

Dryhop 5 gallons with 1.5 oz Simcoe.

Move another 2 gallons to a different carboy and dryhop (eventually) with 1 oz Mosaic.

Beersmith says the two different beers are 66.5 IBUs (without Beersmith accounting for the flameout addition). This is a 4.7 ABV beer.

I don't know how to build the toasting into Beersmith. Is this enough? I am toasting after milling.

Any thoughts or comments on the recipe(s)? Any thoughts on mash temp, if I want some body and malt presence? Any thoughts on my toasting?

Thanks in advance.
I like your recipe as is, I bet this will be delicious. What is your OG, estimated FG, and yeast? That will help determine a mash temp.
__________________
Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 AM   #9
BBFCreatureFM
 
BBFCreatureFM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Miami, FL
Posts: 34
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorBock

I like your recipe as is, I bet this will be delicious. What is your OG, estimated FG, and yeast? That will help determine a mash temp.
I will have to check on OG and FG, but Beersmith won't be right, I don't think, because it won't account for the toasted maris otter, which should raise the FG.

I have a number of packets of SO4 and SO5 on hand. Hadn't decided which to reconstitute and pitch. Maybe the SO4. Aiming for something clean. I do not want the yeast in the way.

Leaning towards mashing around 152 to 154, but if I get within a degree or so, I will be pleased and generally don't worry too much. Thanks also to everyone for good suggestions. I may move the 15 min addition to dry hop. I will play it by ear. Toasting tomorrow, then letting toasted malts sit for a week in a paper bag, as other threads suggest, to allow off flavors to dissipate. Then brewing next weekend, unless life gets in the way.
__________________
-----------------------------------
Primary 1: Belgian Blonde
Primary 2: Apricot Belgian Blonde
Primary 3: Ed Wort's Aphelwein

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
BBFCreatureFM
 
BBFCreatureFM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Miami, FL
Posts: 34
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFCreatureFM

I will have to check on OG and FG, but Beersmith won't be right, I don't think, because it won't account for the toasted maris otter, which should raise the FG.

I have a number of packets of SO4 and SO5 on hand. Hadn't decided which to reconstitute and pitch. Maybe the SO4. Aiming for something clean. I do not want the yeast in the way.

Leaning towards mashing around 152 to 154, but if I get within a degree or so, I will be pleased and generally don't worry too much. Thanks also to everyone for good suggestions. I may move the 15 min addition to dry hop. I will play it by ear. Toasting tomorrow, then letting toasted malts sit for a week in a paper bag, as other threads suggest, to allow off flavors to dissipate. Then brewing next weekend, unless life gets in the way.
According to Beersmith,

OG = 1.062
estimated FG = 1.017
__________________
-----------------------------------
Primary 1: Belgian Blonde
Primary 2: Apricot Belgian Blonde
Primary 3: Ed Wort's Aphelwein

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maris Otter/Cascade SMaSH ChemEMc Recipes/Ingredients 31 07-18-2016 12:53 PM
Maris Otter + Amarillo SMaSH montbardbrewing Recipes/Ingredients 4 05-19-2011 05:21 PM
Maris Otter/Cascade SMaSH? mychalg9 Recipes/Ingredients 9 11-11-2010 01:22 PM
SMaSH with Maris Otter...need a little help JNye Recipes/Ingredients 5 06-08-2010 12:17 AM
Brewed my first AG; Simcoe & Maris Otter SMaSH Beerzoid All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 04-29-2009 06:04 PM


Forum Jump