Esb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
Howdy all! I'm looking at my first ESB all grain recipe. I've done a few with extract, and it's really become one of my favorite styles. Wondering what your thoughts are on this.

7# maris otter
8 oz. english medium crystal
8 oz brown malt
1 oz phoenix at 60
1 oz bramling cross at 5
1 oz bramling cross at 0
yorkshire square ale yeast

Your almost there...

Drop the brown malt (save it for your milds/porters) and move the 5 min hops to 15-20 instead. I don't know what your aiming for OG and IBU, but figure around 35-45 IBU for a 1.050-60 beer.

Yeast choice looks good too, just be sure to make a healthy starter and pitch low, (64F) and slowly come up to temp (66-68F). I wouldn't go into the 70's with this yeast.

Bravo on the bramling cross... don't see many beers using those hops and that's a shame.

i LOVE bramling cross. probably one of my favorite hop varieties. guess i figured on the brown malt for the biscuitiness...could probably go for victory or something like that.

no real goal for OG or IBU, outside of an easy drinking beer that exhibits great malt/hop character. Beersmith gives me an estimated OG of 1.043 and IBU's of about 33 ... I could up my base malt, or even add some ESB or optic malt, just for fun.

thanks for the input, bierhaus15!

Back