Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pin vs ball lock kegs

Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
Brewcrew86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pin vs ball lock kegs

I have found a few discussion searching through hot, but not any really good threads. I want to keg...bad! What is really the difference between the two? Why is one better than the other? All i ever hear is ball locks are the best. I found a deal on some pin locks for $20 and am wondering if I should go for it, or wait for some ball locks. A brewery uses them. They are getting rid of them to put in some sankes. If $20 is a good price what is market value if I wanted to get extra to sell?

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
mo_feezy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

They are both about the same. I believe ball lock are usually a little bit taller than pin lock. As long as you get gas/liquid fittings for the keg you buy you'll be fine.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts

20 bucks is a good price for pin locks.

I dont find a huge diff between my pinlock or ball lock kegs, just make sure you get swivel nuts and flare Quick Disconnects for all your kegs.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If I didn't have ball, I'd go pin. No possibility of putting the gas on the beer post with a pin and they are cheaper. Win win.

They will both do the same thing for you, though.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
shelly_belly
Power To Love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Buy them quickly or someone else will. I use both and prefer pin-locks as I can put disconnects on/off with my eyes closed but with ball-locks I need to find my reading glasses. Pin-locks to me also seem a little stronger (maybe because they're shorter). The cons would be that pin-locks by default don't come with a manual pressure relief valve and you may be able to get one extra ball-lock in your keezer/kegerator than with pin-locks.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 7

@ $20 I would buy as many as my wallet would allow after donating plasma and paying whatever bill was supposed to get paid that week next week...

They are kinda a PITA when the majority of people have ball locks when you go to club/homebrew events because the regulator will prob not have pin stuff dedicated to it.

I also think the pin locks are shorter and fatter so you may potentially get fewer kegs int a ?x? area/keggerator/kezzer.

I see used corny kegs sell for $40-60 + shipping online and my LHBS sells them for 79.99 ea. (Yea that is all used and pressure tested.)

Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts

Swivel nut is like 3 bucks, solves any issues at meetings/events, etc.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
neko
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I have both pin and ball kegs and don't really notice a difference besides the relief valve. Having the valve is more convenient, but at $20 I would jump on those kegs now.

"We have invented the world's largest laser system" -Ahnold

Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
Brewcrew86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From the replies I am going to get them. I have a round trip drive of 300 miles but its probably worth it. I Didn't know it was so far away. That would bring them to about $30 a piece with gas money there. It's a brewery owner...maybe I can get a tour and a sample of his product?

Thanks guys