Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Different take on pre-cool stage for immersion chilling

Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
gkeusch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Different take on pre-cool stage for immersion chilling

If you use an immersion chiller and have a freezer other than the one on top of your fridge, you might like this idea. I read about using a second coil immersed in ice as a pre-cool stage for the one in the kettle. I liked this idea but didn't want to spend the money (and time - mine is home-made) on another copper coil, so I bought about 20' of 3/8 vinyl tubing, put hose connectors on the ends, coiled it up in a two gallon bucket with the ends hanging out the top, wedged an empty two liter pop bottle in the middle to take expansion, put water in the bucket to cover the coils (you will need some method to hold the tubing underwater as it wants to float - I used some hooks fashioned from coathangers) and froze the whole thing. Come brew day and time to chill, I hooked it up ahead of my chiller after I used straight tap water to get down to about 120 deg. Using this I got the rest of the way down to 60 in about 12 minutes. Big savings on time and water. Of course, the tubing has to be drained and re-loaded in the bucket each time, but I like this better than ice bags.
Maybe this is not a new idea but I thought I'd throw it out there...

JonK331 Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 863 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Hmm...That'd save me about $5 worth of ice per brew session during the summer. I already have a copper pre-chiller. I might try this.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

My ground water is so cold right now 15 minutes and I am pitching. I have one made out of copper for summertime but now it just takes to long to set up