Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Blow-off tube + evaporation = oxidization???

Old 01-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Delaney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Blow-off tube + evaporation = oxidization???

Hi,

I'm currently fermenting two batches of mead, which are in the primary with blowoff tubes. I was away from the house for a month. I did not anticipate the evaporation of water from the jars acting as my airlock, and came home to find the tubes hanging in air (the tips were no longer submerged).

I know that CO2 is heavier than O2, but I'm concerned that due to air circulation, oxygen may have entered the tubes and displaced CO2 from the headspace in my demijohns. I will rack and top-up the mead ASAP as a precaution, just wondering what the likelihood of this having occured is...

Thanks for the input,

Delaney

Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
shanecb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

There could have been SOME O2 that made it's way up to tube and into the demijohns, but the amount would be so low I wouldn't remotely worry about it. I'm sure I've introduced more O2 than that to batches of beer by pulling the lids of buckets off for tests and I've never had a single issue.