Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > JAOM Topping Up

Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
kevinstan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default JAOM Topping Up

Started my first 2 one gallon batches of JAOM 3 weeks ago. It already has a good inch of sediment in the bottom, plus the offset of the oranges. When this clears and is done fermenting, could I rack it to another one gallon and top it up to make a complete gallon? Does anyone else top up or just get the final 3 bottles of completed mead and be done ? I I know it will lower my ABV also if I added water. Is there a better way ?

Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Why rack it at all? The point of JAOM is to be simple simple simple. Just leave it alone in a dark place for 3-4 months and when the fruit is all at the bottom just siphon into bottles. Don't be greedy and leave a good 1" of mead above the sediment so you don't suck any of that up and into bottles. Everyone tries to complicate JAOM and they shouldn't. Leave her be and 6 months from now you will have a delightfully golden nectar to drink.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
kevinstan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am not trying to complicate the process at all. Just looking to finish with a full gallon. Was wondering if anyone else altered anything or added more from a smaller batch at the end or something to finish a complete gallon of jaom. From the looks of mine with the sediment and fruit offset, I will be lucky to get two 750ml bottles full of completed jaom.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
onshisan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
From the looks of mine with the sediment and fruit offset, I will be lucky to get two 750ml bottles full of completed jaom.
Can you post a picture? This makes me curious. If you are expecting only 1.5L, you suggest nearly half the carboys is full of sediment?

Certainly you can rack and top up; yes, it will lower your ABV, and but that's not a big deal. No doubt you won't find the additional step too great a complication if you'll get another bottle out of it.