Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First attempt with 5 gallons of organic apple cider

Old 04-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Pickled_Pepper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Give it some more time, it should eventually carbonate with that much priming sugar. Some of my batches took 4+ weeks to fully carb. Do you get any pop from the caps when you open them? Maybe give it another week and put one in the fridge for 24 hours before opening it.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Dorimo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

That definitly makes some sense, nothing at the time of the opening, but i could see the bubbles in the cider. Small and few but they are definitly there so i'm sure i was just being impatient. Everything i have read so far stresses just relax...and let the yeast do its job i'll just let it ride, besides it just gets better with age

thanks alot

Tap 1 - Coconut Lime Wine Cooler
Tap 2 - OXO Robust Porter
Tap 3 - Willamette 2 Row SMaSH

Bottled - Fresh Hopped Centennial & Vienna Ale, Parti Gyle English Mild

Old 07-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #13
Dorimo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

So for an update I have more or less forgotten about the cider I made and is still hidden away in the dark corner of the man cave lol but I'm thinking I will have to throw one in the fridge soon and see how were doing

Old 07-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The brewing equivalent of finding $20 in your pocket when doing laundry!
Catsnstuff Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #15
Dorimo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

So the end of the story for this cider has finally come. This was the absolute first thing I fermented with the intention on making a nice drink, and it is by far the second worst thing I have made lol. I had a friend taste it (BJCP Judge even), as well as put it in a local CAMRA competition and I got feedback from my friend atleast (still waiting on competition notes) and it has some good alcohol to it, but it got a mild infection so it has a great initial burst of a blend of apples and earthy tones to it, but it leaves a bit of a tart, bitter mouth feel. However it is good with a little sprite or fruit juice, it also did not carbonate due to bad math. I read over my notes I wrote down and the first problem was in my primary and again in my secondary carboys I left waay too much headroom. In the primary it was fine, the Co2 production was enough to fill the headspace and get the oxygen out, but in the secondary it was not. I feel that this is where the oxygen was able to oxidise the cider bringing a mild infection too it. And as far as the carbonation goes it does have a good "pop" when opening the grolsch bottle, and very fine light bubbles when you look at it in the glass but not sparkling, just a touch over still I would say. However now having read the copius amounts of information here, online, and especially from my local brew club, I am confident my next cider will be outstanding!! so Thank you to everyone for your awesome advice and support! I can't wait to get some more cider, mead and even Perry going next!