Accounting for lost volume in pumps and tubing in beersmith2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mo_feezy

Reaction score
Is there a commonly used way of incorporating this liquid into beersmith? Additionally, what is the best way to measure this liquid? just disconnect and dump in a bucket?

Is there a commonly used way of incorporating this liquid into beersmith? Additionally, what is the best way to measure this liquid? just disconnect and dump in a bucket?

You could collect your losses and place them in a bucket to get an idea of the volume of lost liquid. This should include what is in your pump and hoses, and what is in the bottom of your kettle that you are unable to siphon or drain out.

Once you have the figure for your lost volume of wort, you can enter this figure into your Kettle Profile. There is a field called Dead Space. You could enter the total volume there and it should calculate how much is lost to dead space and adjust your beginning volumes needed to get to your target ending volume.

I hope that this helps.

Mark

I added 3 gallons then after running it through the system ended up with 2.65 gallons, so I knew I had overall dead space of .35 gallons. It was easier than trying to measure how much was left in the hoses, mash tun etc.

Back