Need clarification re: pumps and running dry - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Need clarification re: pumps and running dry

Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Deacon1856
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bowling Green, Ky
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have bought a chugger pump. I have put camlocks on the ends of said chugger pump, and it sits. It sits waiting to be used. This is what I know about the pump:

1. It moves liquids from one vessel to another.
2. DO NOT RUN IT DRY!

My question is about #2. Let us say that I am transferring from one vessel to another. Vessel 1 empties, leaving the line from vessel 1 to the pump empty. However, there is still liquid in the line from the pump to vessel 2.

When do I shut off the pump? Immediately following the emptying of line 1? After line 2 is empty? I'm guessing I just disconnect line two and dump the contents into vessel 2. I just want to be clear as to the proper procedures. I definitely don't want to burn up a pump.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Liked 90 Times on 75 Posts

As soon as the inlet to the pump is dry shut off..Don't want it to suck air..Most account for the lose of wort in the lines, etc..

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Joliet, IL
Liked 1113 Times on 586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon1856 View Post
I have bought a chugger pump. I have put camlocks on the ends of said chugger pump, and it sits. It sits waiting to be used. This is what I know about the pump:

1. It moves liquids from one vessel to another.
2. DO NOT RUN IT DRY!

My question is about #2. Let us say that I am transferring from one vessel to another. Vessel 1 empties, leaving the line from vessel 1 to the pump empty. However, there is still liquid in the line from the pump to vessel 2.

When do I shut off the pump? Immediately following the emptying of line 1? After line 2 is empty? I'm guessing I just disconnect line two and dump the contents into vessel 2. I just want to be clear as to the proper procedures. I definitely don't want to burn up a pump.

Thanks in advance.
Don't worry. Your pump will squeal like nobody's business when it's running dry. Just shut it off fast and you'll be fine.

I have silicon hose that's translucent, so I can see when the pump is about to run out of wort, and I shut it off just before the air gets to the pump. Then I shut the valve off that is connected to the pump outflow port, and then disconnect the hose from the pump outflow to my chiller inflow. Using gravity, I drain the remaining wort out of the hoses and chiller into my carboy.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Deacon1856
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bowling Green, Ky
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Awesome. That's what I figured, but I wanted to be sure. Pumps cost too much to be gambling. I appreciate the feedback.