Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brown Ale

Old 01-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
NickN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Brown Ale

I recently brewed my first Brown Ale. I don't have the exact recipe on me but i can get it later. I bumped up the LME from the 6 lbs called out for in the recipe to 7.5 lbs. Other than that I followed the recipe that I had(Kent Goldings/Cascade Hops).

Anyway, I kegged last night and had myself a test tube of it. It was good but not heavy like you would expect from a typical Brown Ale(Moose Drool). It kind of felt watered down. So what can I do to improve the next batch?

Thanks! I can post the exact recipe later if it will help.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
I recently brewed my first Brown Ale. I don't have the exact recipe on me but i can get it later. I bumped up the LME from the 6 lbs called out for in the recipe to 7.5 lbs. Other than that I followed the recipe that I had(Kent Goldings/Cascade Hops).

Anyway, I kegged last night and had myself a test tube of it. It was good but not heavy like you would expect from a typical Brown Ale(Moose Drool). It kind of felt watered down. So what can I do to improve the next batch?

Thanks! I can post the exact recipe later if it will help.
Carbonation is vital for mouthfeel; samples of flat beer typically seem watery. Get it carbed, then try it and see what you think.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You kegged last night - so the beer is probably green and undercarbed. Carbonation changes both the mouthfeel and the perception of flavors.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
NickN
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Ok thanks.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Bk2X
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

While I am still messing with simple brews, I read many recipes that say 8oz (5gal batch) of maltodextrine can really improve mouth feel.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk2X View Post
While I am still messing with simple brews, I read many recipes that say 8oz (5gal batch) of maltodextrine can really improve mouth feel.
I use about 4 ounces in a 5-6 gallon batch... Works for me in most of my ales.

bosco