Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How many people need noise to fall asleep?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
rs4life
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How many people need noise to fall asleep?

How many of you need white noise to fall asleep and stay asleep? Without it the smallest noises wake me up.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 68 Posts

I grew up in an industrial area in Western PA with heavy equipment and trains running 24-7. I believe that I have become dependent on background noise to sleep. It drives my wife NUTS if she turns the TV off I wake up seconds later.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Me, I use a fan. I've tried white noise generators, but I end up easily distracted by the the break in the pattern where the sound effect loops on itself. When I was recovering from my surgery and staying at my sister's house my old droid had a couple halfway decent white noise apps. But oldschool fans work best for me. I run them year round whenever I sleeping or napping.

I've been doing it since I was a kid, my dad was hard of hearing and a shouter at the tv when his teams were loosing, so when I'd go to bed as a kid, the fan would be a perfect layer of constant noise to block out any intermittent noise li9ke tvs or traffic.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
WesleyS
Are you actually reading this?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3543 Times on 2361 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Me, I use a fan. I've tried white noise generators, but I end up easily distracted by the the break in the pattern where the sound effect loops on itself. When I was recovering from my surgery and staying at my sister's house my old droid had a couple halfway decent white noise apps. But oldschool fans work best for me. I run them year round whenever I sleeping or napping.

I've been doing it since I was a kid, my dad was hard of hearing and a shouter at the tv when his teams were loosing, so when I'd go to bed as a kid, the fan would be a perfect layer of constant noise to block out any intermittent noise li9ke tvs or traffic.
Same here. I have to have a fan running for me to fall/stay asleep. The ceiling fan in my bedroom works fine for that. I need that little but of noise and probably more than anything I need air constantly circulating. I keep my fan on even in the winter. I can't fall asleep without it.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Satisfaction
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

My wife introduced me to sleeping with a fan on, now when I travel I find that my sleep is dramatically improved with white noise in the background. On the iPhone, SleepMachine is a good app to use.
People Like This 
Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
rs4life
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satisfaction
My wife introduced me to sleeping with a fan on, now when I travel I find that my sleep is dramatically improved with white noise in the background. On the iPhone, SleepMachine is a good app to use.
Another good one is sleep pillow plus. I use the rain one if i dont have a fan available. Although i wake up thinking its actually raining out.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I have one of those Vortex table fans on throughout the night. Been sleeping this way for 15+ years. A few of my girlfriends along the way didn't like the fan because it got them too cold or it was too loud... Simple Solution: Toss a heavy shirt over it. You'll still have some sound without the cold draft.

Other people I know sleep with those extra loud industrial fans. That's too much noise for me. Sounds like you're in a wind tunnel. I don't like listening to the TV, and especially not those white noise machines either... I'd prefer silence to hearing an artificial waterfall or birds chirping in a forest. Actual rain or thunderstorms are great!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 285

I usually pop the TV on when I get in bed and half listen to it while I drift off. At some point during the night I will turn it off.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
Mumbly
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I go to bed with netflix playing, after the show or movie, the tv shuts off after being idle, its pretty handy no need to remember to set the sleep timer.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 363 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I generally don't have any issues falling asleep, I don't mind noise unless its intelligable. The worst is when its talking that is slightly muted, like a television in another room. The natural tendency to listen makes me struggle to try to make out what is being said and that wakes me up more. Then I have to turn on a fan to override, otherwise, quiet is good by me.

WesleyGatzke Likes This