What to do with my lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNningonbrew

Reaction score
So I made my first lager on 12/29 and have it my garage which is a constant 50 degrees, however this Friday and Saturday it is supposed to get up to 60 degrees. I checked the gravity yesterday and it was at 1.03, should I throw it in my fridge (not temp controlled) or should I just let it go? What are the risks?

Getting up to 60F will not hurt it. In fact, you'll get a diacetyl rest, which may be beneficial. The bulk of the fermentation probably has been completed (what was your OG?), and the flavor profile has been set. I'd leave it at 60F until it got to its FG and then transfer it for lagering.

Yep, you've got your flavor profile pretty much locked in already. Doing a diacetyl rest 5-10F above you ferment temps when ~10 points are left is a good idea. Your lager should get to 1.012-15, so you could start you diacetyl rest in a few days. These are just broad guidelines though, so do what works best within your setup.

Getting up to 60F will not hurt it. In fact, you'll get a diacetyl rest, which may be beneficial. The bulk of the fermentation probably has been completed (what was your OG?), and the flavor profile has been set. I'd leave it at 60F until it got to its FG and then transfer it for lagering.

This. Plus S-23 is a good (clean) performer at higher temps. You've got it made in the shade!

Back