Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > BIG barleywine recommendations?

Old 01-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #11
WarrantedFED
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber

That FG looks kind'a high. Have you brewed this one?
Exactly, yes, appears high. However, it's because of my Brew Pal program; I had to manually input the yeast strain and just didn't input the alcohol tolerance properly. The yeast strain will deliver a high alcohol content, my estimation is roughly 13%. I encourage you to validate this.

I brewed it this last weekend and you could damned near stand the spoon up in the wort it was so thick. But, I will report the FG in a couple of months time. I have high hopes.

You could just take 3 lbs of amber extract and 3 lbs of MO extract out of the recipe, give that a try.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantedFED View Post
I brewed it this last weekend and you could damned near stand the spoon up in the wort it was so thick. But, I will report the FG in a couple of months time. I have high hopes.

You could just take 3 lbs of amber extract and 3 lbs of MO extract out of the recipe, give that a try.
Any word how this fermented out? I'm going to be ordering some ingredients for my spring brews and a barleywine will be one of them. I will be brewing a sacrificial ESB (it'll get drank!) for the yeast.
Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 03-25-2013, 03:54 AM   #13
WarrantedFED
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
Any word how this fermented out? I'm going to be ordering some ingredients for my spring brews and a barleywine will be one of them. I will be brewing a sacrificial ESB (it'll get drank!) for the yeast.

Yeah, it's actually still bubbling away. I had a lot of issues with this and as a result a lot of lessons learned. I actually ended up watering down to 10 gallons. It stuck at 1.040 or so and I pitched 2 massive starters of champagne yeast to finish it off, it's at about 1.030 now. Crazy town, but really great! The English chocolate malt gave an amazing coffee flavor which has since disappeared. I'm getting ready to pick up a freshly emptied whiskey barrel from Woodinvile Whiskey and transfer immediately.

The taste is amazing, a little boozy, tastes great with a splash of whiskey! I say do it!