Rw Knudsen Juice - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Rw Knudsen Juice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
Nwa-brewing
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Bentonville, AR
Posts: 143
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Lemon? Thats my next learning curve is the acidity etc. I will have to try that!

Thats not a bad idea substituting water with juice. I need a bigger utility room and more carboys...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
MzAnnie
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Columbia, Mississippi
Posts: 215
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwa-brewing View Post
Lemon? Thats my next learning curve is the acidity etc. I will have to try that!

Thats not a bad idea substituting water with juice. I need a bigger utility room and more carboys...
I almost built a wine cellar, but I would have had to use alot of insulation to try and keep it at 70 degrees year round, in Mississippi. So I just limit myself to 10-5 gallons at a time. It took me about 8 months (I am not one to let my wine age out much, unless it is really crappy or Carmel Apple Mead) to get to the place where, when 5 gallons are bottled, 5 more are made. The husband and I drink one glass a nite, for medicinal purposes.
The production line way keeps me from having to build a cellar, as dark and dank, here, is not a good combination and mold grows in the sunlight. My utility room suffices, and I found a spot on the north side of the house, in a corner, to build shelves for the bottles, that stays @ 75 degrees, with out having air conditioning. In the summer, alot of people are overwelmed, after they are done (or sick of)canning, by the amount of produce they have, ie, pears (especially, because they come with alot of bees)and berries, and the like, so you can get a lot of free produce, just by offering up a bottle of wine or two. So put the word out early.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Nwa-brewing
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Bentonville, AR
Posts: 143
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MzAnnie View Post
I almost built a wine cellar, but I would have had to use alot of insulation to try and keep it at 70 degrees year round, in Mississippi. So I just limit myself to 10-5 gallons at a time. It took me about 8 months (I am not one to let my wine age out much, unless it is really crappy or Carmel Apple Mead) to get to the place where, when 5 gallons are bottled, 5 more are made. The husband and I drink one glass a nite, for medicinal purposes.
The production line way keeps me from having to build a cellar, as dark and dank, here, is not a good combination and mold grows in the sunlight. My utility room suffices, and I found a spot on the north side of the house, in a corner, to build shelves for the bottles, that stays @ 75 degrees, with out having air conditioning. In the summer, alot of people are overwelmed, after they are done (or sick of)canning, by the amount of produce they have, ie, pears (especially, because they come with alot of bees)and berries, and the like, so you can get a lot of free produce, just by offering up a bottle of wine or two. So put the word out early.
I will definitely have to start putting a bug in peoples ear about the left over fruits!!

Once me and the wife get a bigger house, one of two things, i will get to turn part of the storm cellar into a wine storage or might build a little will insulated hut thing :-)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
TexasWine
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TexasWine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Houston, Tejas
Posts: 1,716
Liked 406 Times on 318 Posts


Just curious how this turned out for you. Did you end up using all juice? I picked up some Knudsen just blueberry and tart cherry yesterday. Hoping to find someone who has gone down this path before so I don't mess up this really expensive juice.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #15
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,800
Liked 324 Times on 274 Posts


I use these juices to flavor my apple cider. Using a 4 gallon apple cider base, I add 3 qts to 1 gallon of the Knudsen to flavor/back sweeten after the apple has finished fermenting. I particularly like the Tart Cherry blended with apple. If I need to adjust acidity I use Malic Acid.
__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary:
Kegged: Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout
On Deck: German Lager

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
Nwa-brewing
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Bentonville, AR
Posts: 143
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


It turned out very good I made a blueberry pomegranate used 3 gallons total of juice and 2 gallons of water. The overall taste was great with what I would consider a medium-light body.

If you make it out of 100% knudsen juice it will just be that much better.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
WVMJ
 
WVMJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Karnage, WV
Posts: 1,519
Liked 181 Times on 165 Posts


After all the work we put into this thread you still diluted your juice? Diluted blueberry juice can only taste like diluted blueberry juice, there is no way even approaching medium body, you could have just made a Dragons Blood instead. WVMJ
__________________
Country Wines with WVMJ

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
TexasWine
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TexasWine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Houston, Tejas
Posts: 1,716
Liked 406 Times on 318 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
After all the work we put into this thread you still diluted your juice? Diluted blueberry juice can only taste like diluted blueberry juice, there is no way even approaching medium body, you could have just made a Dragons Blood instead. WVMJ
Really sorry for hijacking this thread, but I was debating this exact thing (whether to use all juice or not). I planned on modifying one of Jack Keller's full body recipes that uses actual berries to accommodate juice instead. He uses some water, but also throws in LDME and red grape concentrate.

Would you still recommend using all blueberry juice instead of the red grape concentrate for a recipe like that?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
WVMJ
 
WVMJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Karnage, WV
Posts: 1,519
Liked 181 Times on 165 Posts


Why not use both? If you are trying to make a good wine dont add water, add something with flavor, the only time to add water is if the fruit is too acidic such as with currants, its hard to go all juice with them without backsweetening too much, or something like black raspberries, hard to go all black raspberry juice, something almost coats your tongue and blocks the taste, 5lb/gal black rasp, but then add some grape juice instead of water, when using these store juices even if its 100% juice its going to be a little thin, go all juice whenever possible. All that being said its most important to make the wines you like to drink, if you like weak wine with little fruit in it make that kind, its yours, if you want so much fruit in there that you concentrate them like syrup and can get it to ferment more power to you I always stand in the middle WVMJ
__________________
Country Wines with WVMJ

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
Nwa-brewing
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Bentonville, AR
Posts: 143
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
After all the work we put into this thread you still diluted your juice? Diluted blueberry juice can only taste like diluted blueberry juice, there is no way even approaching medium body, you could have just made a Dragons Blood instead. WVMJ
Well I was trying something, and the wine still came out excellent. Still had plenty of flavor if I had used 100% of the juice I have no doubt it would have even been better. But I was still very pleased with the results

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
apple juice grape juice green chile cmo_505 Winemaking Forum 5 07-27-2013 06:04 PM
Organic unfiltered Juice for Apfelwein? Cloudy juice=Cloudy Apfewein? Smithman Winemaking Forum 3 11-21-2012 12:14 AM
RW Knudsen Juice Wine Beernik Winemaking Forum 3 02-28-2010 03:37 AM
Juice vs. watered juice thegreens72 Cider Forum 8 09-27-2009 01:38 PM
Frozen grape juice n 100% blueberry juice? Help? fairlady Winemaking Forum 0 10-10-2007 04:14 AM


Forum Jump