Pot size for extract full boil / all grain - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pot size for extract full boil / all grain

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
maida7
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,827
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrol View Post
Should end with 3g in each for 6g batch But yeah. Cooling 1 worth, remove and immerse the IC in the hot wort is not too dangerous for infection? (I know the IC was "sanitized" during the boil of the first, but I was wondering if the process of moving from a cool wort to a hot wort was bad).

Do people easily succesfully do full boil in two pot at the same time? You need to divide your recipe in two I guess and do the same thing at the same moment in each.
sounds like a pain in the ass if you ask me. If your really gonna go this route, start one boil 30 mins before the second one. Then you will have 30 mins to chill the first one and get it in the fermenter before you have to chill the second one. Still sounds like a pain.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #22
kontrol
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 195
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
sounds like a pain in the ass if you ask me. If your really gonna go this route, start one boil 30 mins before the second one. Then you will have 30 mins to chill the first one and get it in the fermenter before you have to chill the second one. Still sounds like a pain.
Yeah, which is why I don't wana go this route lol

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #23
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Euphist's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Jacksonburg, WV
Posts: 502
Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrol View Post
Yeah, in a near future I'd like to move and get a garage too. This would make my life a lot easier.

So 6 GAL batch on the glass stove top was fine? So you'd start with 7-8-9 GAL and the glass didn't break?
Yep, no problems at all other than it was kind of slow to start boiling. I typically started with 8 to 8 1/2 gallons plus the grain bill (full volume BIAB). Now obviously I can't guarantee you would have the same results...FWIW the stove was a GE glass top...not induction or quartz.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
kontrol
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 195
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphist View Post
Yep, no problems at all other than it was kind of slow to start boiling. I typically started with 8 to 8 1/2 gallons plus the grain bill (full volume BIAB). Now obviously I can't guarantee you would have the same results...FWIW the stove was a GE glass top...not induction or quartz.
And it did not crack? If only I knew my stove top would support this weight it would be easier to decide

When doing BIAB do you need more water and bigger pot? or do you top off with water when it's done mashing?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
duboman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,368
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrol

And it did not crack? If only I knew my stove top would support this weight it would be easier to decide

When doing BIAB do you need more water and bigger pot? or do you top off with water when it's done mashing?
Personally I would call the manufacturer and ask before attempting.
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
goybar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Southern Maine
Posts: 252
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Typically you would use the full volume of water. There is nothing wrong with using a little less water and dunk "sparge" or tea-bagging the grain bag to end up with the correct pre-boil volume.

Chris

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #27
kontrol
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 195
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Personally I would call the manufacturer and ask before attempting.
Yeah by what I could read on the net I think the answer will be "Tested to 50lb, over that it's not under warrenty" but problem is a 6 GAL batch with 7-8-9 GAL on the stove top will weight over that

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #28
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
WoodlandBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Malden, MA
Posts: 2,191
Liked 244 Times on 199 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrol View Post
Yeah by what I could read on the net I think the answer will be "Tested to 50lb, over that it's not under warrenty" but problem is a 6 GAL batch with 7-8-9 GAL on the stove top will weight over that
True. 50 lbs of water is 6.25 gallons. With the weight of the pot even 6 gallons would probably be over the test limit.
__________________
The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #29
maida7
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,827
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
True. 50 lbs of water is 6.25 gallons. With the weight of the pot even 6 gallons would probably be over the test limit.
and if your doing BIAB there's potentially another 10-20 lbs of grain in the pot during the mash.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #30
kontrol
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 195
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I wasn't going for BIAB. But yeah Anyhow I'm pretty much ****ed What I'd hope is to move in a new house and get a garage so I can either do it with propane burner or get another stove but without glass stove top and then use a heat stick.

But for the moment since we don't plan moving in the next 2 years I'd have to find a way to do it indoor, without propane and without burning my house

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full Boil Extract vs All Grain Conman2U Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 06-09-2011 01:57 PM
Full Boil extract vs. All Grain? dummkauf General Beer Discussion 33 04-05-2010 02:52 PM
Conversion Equations: AG to Extract and vice versa || Grain, Extract, Hops, Boil size NitrouStang96 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 02-01-2008 04:44 AM
Full Boil Extract with Grain jaymack Extract Brewing 7 01-28-2008 09:31 PM


Forum Jump