Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Boudin casings

Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
MzAnnie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default Boudin casings

Hello, I usually hang out in the wine forum, because I never scrolled down far enought to see this section. I love making boudin. I use natural hog casings and they end up splitting before they are done cooking. Did I soak them too long, @ 15 minutes in warm water? Is there a better casing to use so that they won't split? The best boudin I have had was at Coop's Place, in New Orleans, before Katrina. I want to say that they boiled them and grilled them. Theirs did not split and the casing was crisp and not greasy, but, for lack of a better word, dewey? Anyone have any suggestions? Stupid question-can you use chitterlings? I just don't want to keep making this beautiful boudin and end up having to make boudin balls or pattys because the casings keep splitting. Thanks a bunch. Oh, if I wanted to smoke it, what casings would be the best for that? Thanks again...I am off to the wine forum! -Annie

Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Maybe the problem is that you are overstuffing them? Or, do you mean you want bigger casings?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Hmmm, I never thought that I was overstuffing them. You might be on to something. I use the sausage attachment on my kitchen aide and sometimes it is a little awkward. Thank you.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Did you use the little bit of vinegar in the water you soaked them in? If you stuffed them too much they'll split. Although if I stuff sausage that much, they usually split when not cooked. Did you put tiny holes in the casing before cooking them to let the extra juices out?

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
boscobeans Likes This 
Old 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
delta
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzAnnie View Post
Did I soak them too long, @ 15 minutes in warm water?

I've always soaked casings for at least 12 hours.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
CHefJohnboyardee
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

They are overstuffed. Don't stuff them so full

Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I've always soaked casings for at least 12 hours.
I think I go with a 30-60 minute soak in water treated with vinegar. The vinegar makes them much more pliable. I also rinse them out really well first (of the salt). I'd have to check the recipe book (yeah, I have a sausage recipe book) to see which I follow. I need to look up something to use some ground chuck in. I have some other beef in the freezer that I could grind up too. Just need to get some extra fat to toss in to make them not too dry.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 5021 Times on 2992 Posts
Likes Given: 4199

I soak hog casings overnight in vinegar. First, I run cider vinegar through them (not easy, but you'll figure it out). The acidic vinegar makes them more pliable.

Before you cook them, use a toothpick to poke holes along the length of each one of them. There is a lot of juice in boudin and that will cause the sausage to expand a lot. The holes let the juices boil and leave the sausage without it exploding.

Here's a video of my son a friend stuffing boudin blanc into hog casings. Seems like I just posted this link a week ago.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn
Here's a video of my son a friend stuffing boudin blanc into hog casings. Seems like I just posted this link a week ago.
I seem to recall you posting it recently too.

IME, running cider vinegar seems like extreme over-kill. I've had great results with even just a 30-60 minute soak in the vinegar treated water (1 tablespoon per cup of water). I don't think your 12 hour soak does anything after the initial ~60 minutes. It would be interesting to do a side-by-side test with both time frames though.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 5021 Times on 2992 Posts
Likes Given: 4199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I seem to recall you posting it recently too.

IME, running cider vinegar seems like extreme over-kill. I've had great results with even just a 30-60 minute soak in the vinegar treated water (1 tablespoon per cup of water). I don't think your 12 hour soak does anything after the initial ~60 minutes. It would be interesting to do a side-by-side test with both time frames though.
Yea, you might be right. No idea. But it keeps working, so I'm reluctant to change it.