Orange Zest: Potential infections and long term stability problems? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Orange Zest: Potential infections and long term stability problems?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
GavSenior
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 7


Hi,

I'm thinking about using zest in a wheat beer.

Are there any potential issues with the zest infecting the beer, or causing any long term stability issues? If so, how do I get around this?

I was planning on cleaning the fruit by dunking it in a 1% peracetic acid prior to zesting, will this be sufficient for cleaning the fruit?

I will be adding the zest at the end of the boil.

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Tiber_Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Posts: 2,411
Liked 208 Times on 146 Posts


I usually add my fresh zest within 5 minutes of the end of the boil, or right at the end of the boil. Five minutes at ~212F is sufficient for killing most bugs. If I add at the end of the boil, I let it steep at 190-200F for about 10 or 15 minutes during whirlpool. With either method, I've never had any issues with contamination. Hope this helps!
__________________
On tap:
1. Imperial Oatmeal Espresso Stout 2. Michigan IPL 3. Kölsch 4. Kentucky Common 5.[Nitrogen] Oat Blonde
Primary:
1. Helles 2. Helles 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none 5. none
Bottled:
About 23 gallons of beer & 3 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Rye Barrel aged DIPA, Altbier, Helles x2

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
techbrewie
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Fargo, ND
Posts: 340
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiber_Brew View Post
I usually add my fresh zest within 5 minutes of the end of the boil, or right at the end of the boil. Five minutes at ~212F is sufficient for killing most bugs. If I add at the end of the boil, I let it steep at 190-200F for about 10 or 15 minutes during whirlpool. With either method, I've never had any issues with contamination. Hope this helps!
this. I usually dont do fresh orange zest though. I usually buy Sweet Orange Peels. 5 mins in boil is usually the best time to add these. If it's any addition after the boil as per the recipe, just boil them in a cup of water for a few mins to sterilize, then make your addition.
__________________
Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
looneybomber
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
lawrence, ks
Posts: 599
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts


I've added orange zest at the end of the boil for two different beers, and I've used some in secondary on another beer. The one I put in secondary, I scrubbed the oranges using organic soap (and hot water), zested the oranges, then let the zest soak in some 100 proof vodka. I don't know if that's the best way to do it, but it worked for me. Go easy on the zest though. I used too much and gave my beer a little grapefruit smell/bitterness...it's slowly going away though.
__________________
Queue: King Tut ale, BIG barleywine, Desire mead, .
Fermenting:Denny Conn's vanilla porter
Secondary:
Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Tiber_Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Posts: 2,411
Liked 208 Times on 146 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
I've added orange zest at the end of the boil for two different beers, and I've used some in secondary on another beer. The one I put in secondary, I scrubbed the oranges using organic soap (and hot water), zested the oranges, then let the zest soak in some 100 proof vodka. I don't know if that's the best way to do it, but it worked for me. Go easy on the zest though. I used too much and gave my beer a little grapefruit smell/bitterness...it's slowly going away though.
If you're getting bitterness, perhaps you're getting some of the pith with your zest? What method are you using to get the zest? Or did you add a LOT of zest to the secondary?
__________________
On tap:
1. Imperial Oatmeal Espresso Stout 2. Michigan IPL 3. Kölsch 4. Kentucky Common 5.[Nitrogen] Oat Blonde
Primary:
1. Helles 2. Helles 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none 5. none
Bottled:
About 23 gallons of beer & 3 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Rye Barrel aged DIPA, Altbier, Helles x2

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
techbrewie
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Fargo, ND
Posts: 340
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts


100 proof vodka or everclear would work, just be sure to use as little as possible, especially if your using everclear or a low grade vodka. It doesnt take much to make a noticeable presence in your beer. I'd say 1/2 to 1 cup max.
__________________
Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
looneybomber
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
lawrence, ks
Posts: 599
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiber_Brew View Post
If you're getting bitterness, perhaps you're getting some of the pith with your zest? What method are you using to get the zest? Or did you add a LOT of zest to the secondary?
I used an apple pealer and had little to no pith, but I did use zest from either 3 or 5 large oranges, I can't remember. I think I used too much.
__________________
Queue: King Tut ale, BIG barleywine, Desire mead, .
Fermenting:Denny Conn's vanilla porter
Secondary:
Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Tiber_Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Posts: 2,411
Liked 208 Times on 146 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
I used an apple pealer and had little to no pith, but I did use zest from either 3 or 5 large oranges, I can't remember. I think I used too much.
I see.

I use a zest peeler like this one, and it does a good job of leaving the pith behind. (click image to view at Amazon)

__________________
On tap:
1. Imperial Oatmeal Espresso Stout 2. Michigan IPL 3. Kölsch 4. Kentucky Common 5.[Nitrogen] Oat Blonde
Primary:
1. Helles 2. Helles 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none 5. none
Bottled:
About 23 gallons of beer & 3 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Rye Barrel aged DIPA, Altbier, Helles x2

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
looneybomber
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
lawrence, ks
Posts: 599
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiber_Brew View Post
I see.

I use a zest peeler like this one, and it does a good job of leaving the pith behind. (click image to view at Amazon)

Oh that would have been great to have. I ended up putting my orange peal along with the vodka in a sanitized hand blender/chopper thing of my wife's to get it into much smaller pieces. Poor boys have poor ways I guess.
__________________
Queue: King Tut ale, BIG barleywine, Desire mead, .
Fermenting:Denny Conn's vanilla porter
Secondary:
Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Calichusetts
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Plymouth, MA
Posts: 3,007
Liked 495 Times on 297 Posts


http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-400...roplane+zester

This works best...it will keep the zest in the back of it until you take it out. Very common in restaurants as well...use what the pros use.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orange zest in honey-orange-wheat forces Recipes/Ingredients 0 04-15-2012 12:05 AM
Which type of orange for best orange zest? Pivzavod Recipes/Ingredients 1 03-31-2011 12:58 PM
Best orange/bitter orange zest? Spasticteapot Extract Brewing 2 06-18-2010 01:56 AM
Sweet Orange Peel vs. Orange Zest end of boil mosquitocontrol Extract Brewing 3 05-05-2010 12:55 AM
Oak aging- short term vs. long term grammatron General Beer Discussion 4 03-01-2010 05:32 PM


Forum Jump