used my bottling bucket as primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbawadew

Reaction score
I brewed an english brown ale as my first brew. I had to use my bottling bucket as my primary because of problems with the primary i had. My question is how should i proceed to bottling? I do not plan on using a secondary. should i transfer the beer to another bucket and clean the bottling buck then return? Or should I bottle right from the Primary? Thank you.

I wouldnt bottle from primary as you will mix the trub up when you add the priming sugar.

Get another bucket and just rack it twice, after the first rack, clean all the trub out and resanitize, then rack your beer back into the bottling vessel, add your sugar, and then bottle.

You can bottle from any clean bucket...if your bottling bucket has a spigot, you can transfer to another clean bucket and then back to your clean bottling bucket. Just make sure you don't agitate your beer too much, don't want any O2 getting in there.

Well, you *could* do a secondary. It's what I would do. If you are sanitary when you rack you have hardly any risk for infection and you will have to rack to a second bucket to properly use the bottling bucket, so why not get the advantage of using a bright tank?

If you still don't want to secondary, then just rack twice.

Make SURE you take apart the spigot and clean and sanitize WELL before bottling and after bottling. Stuff likes to hide in the spigot no matter how much water you run through it.

Back