well, having an "interesting" first all grain night
1st I found out I was holding the thermometor in the wrong spot. on the water OUTSIDE the bat... it was holding at 154... at the temps INSIDE the bag of grain for my mash was about 160.... THEN I find out that there are two holes in the bottom of my paint straining bag.... nothing too big. just looks like I squeezed too hard sometime (I've used this bag for a year of steeping grains and squeezing them out so it was probably week... luckily the grains were compressed enough not to fall out.
THEN when I'm putting a colander on the top of the pot it AND the grain bag that I'm draining slips and falls into the wort splashing hot wort over the top 1/2 of my body and the floor. didn't loose TOOOOO much so I mashed out and dunk sparged in the other pot... eeeeeeeeffff. we'll see how the boil goes and what my final gravity is have 4.5 gallons of wort for this 3 gallon batch so I'm hoping I can boil off 1-1.5 gallons and get it down there.... I'm still pissed that I accidentally mashed that high
... hope it's not ruined.... my extract batches have never had a hitch and this "easy" one turned out to be a nightmare....
now I guess it's time to buy a new paint strainer from sherwin williams