Plastic vs. glass - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Plastic vs. glass

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
tinleymike
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 16
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Is there any advantage to using glass carboys over plastic? Plastic is obviously less expensive and therefore would allow for more money to be spent on beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 53,569
Liked 9064 Times on 7217 Posts


Plastic scratches easily, glass doesn't.

Glass breaks easily, plastic doesn't.


Both glass carboys & plastic better bottles work great. I use both.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
jakenbacon
 
jakenbacon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Glendale, AZ
Posts: 616
Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts


How dare you bring up such a sensitive subject on the forum......

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
Satisfaction
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Brunswick, ME
Posts: 389
Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts


Welcome to HBT..

I suggest you do quick search of the forums and read some of the hundreds of posts and debates on this topic.

Both have pros and cons.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
iambeer
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Wash, DC
Posts: 1,236
Liked 161 Times on 124 Posts


The real answer is proof.

Go buy the best plastic cup in the market. Drink beer out of it. Wash it, and repeat. After a month, are you still enjoying beer from that plastic cup as intended?

Funny, we never argue about drinking beer from a glass cup, just because we don't give a **** if it breaks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 26,540
Liked 7017 Times on 4154 Posts


Note that glass has the potential to hurt you badly, plastic does not. It should be a major consideration in my opinion. Look here for evidence of that.
__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
The real answer is proof.

Go buy the best plastic cup in the market. Drink beer out of it. Wash it, and repeat. After a month, are you still enjoying beer from that plastic cup as intended?

Funny, we never argue about drinking beer from a glass cup, just because we don't give a **** if it breaks.
That's because the most you'll probably lose is a pint. Unless you use one of the bigger glasses (22-23oz).

There's several threads at the bottom of the page under the "similar threads" heading. This only seems to come up about a dozen (or several dozen) times a month.

I'm not going to debate the values of either, since I use neither glass or plastic fermenting vessels. Haven't in some time too.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

iambeer Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
mikescooling
 
mikescooling's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,007
Liked 270 Times on 204 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenbacon View Post
How dare you bring up such a sensitive subject on the forum......
Common man what are you doing to us!! Next thing I'm going to see is pictures of human bodys cut open, then I'm going to puking my guts out.
Glass is a pain in the butt, but its not flexible and cleans well, and it comes in the 6.5gal size that I like. plastic works well but if you flex it, it can suck back the air lock.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
iambeer
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Wash, DC
Posts: 1,236
Liked 161 Times on 124 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
That's because the most you'll probably lose is a pint. Unless you use one of the bigger glasses (22-23oz).
Spilt ale is truly an unacceptable loss bordering on cardinal sin.

Not so great ale? Standard.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #10
grem135
 
grem135's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
St. Louis, Mo.
Posts: 767
Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling

Common man what are you doing to us!! Next thing I'm going to see is pictures of human bodys cut open, then I'm going to puking my guts out.
Glass is a pain in the butt, but its not flexible and cleans well, and it comes in the 6.5gal size that I like. plastic works well but if you flex it, it can suck back the air lock.
I use plastic and i always remember about the suck back issue. Its a non issue as far as I'm concerned.
__________________
Brew On!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plastic vs glass? SpartanChef Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 02-02-2012 01:14 AM
Glass to Plastic Tizzomes Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 06-15-2011 01:30 PM
Glass or plastic? spurcrazy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 39 01-09-2011 04:57 PM
Glass or Plastic lucky76 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 08-20-2009 07:40 PM
Plastic Vs. Glass rrockwel Equipment/Sanitation 2 03-04-2009 02:12 AM


Forum Jump