Speidel or Better Bottle? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel or Better Bottle?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
pfgonzo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, California
Posts: 749
Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkct View Post
Was just about to post this myself. Just received an email from B3 saying the 7.9s were back in. Get 'em while they're hot!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:00 AM   #12
Mb2658
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
, NE
Posts: 421
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts


I ordered 3 more 30L ones. Now I just have to keep an eye out for when the 60L ones come back into stock.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
prohl84
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 332
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts


Wow these look awesome! I have never seen these before but I am glad they're back.

Can anyone using them for primary comment on the height of the spigot as far as transferring off of the trub is concerned?

Anybody try the "Cavern" from Deep Woods Brew? Stainless steel drum fermenters they refer to as being carboy style. Way pricier but I imagine quite a bit more durable.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
uberg33k
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 365
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by prohl84 View Post
Wow these look awesome! I have never seen these before but I am glad they're back.

Can anyone using them for primary comment on the height of the spigot as far as transferring off of the trub is concerned?

Anybody try the "Cavern" from Deep Woods Brew? Stainless steel drum fermenters they refer to as being carboy style. Way pricier but I imagine quite a bit more durable.
They're essentially selling olive oil futsi with a hole drilled in the top for a heck of a mark up. Here is an example of another store selling the same thing (essentially) for $50 less http://thevintnervault.com/product/2...-30-liter.html At the price DWB is charging, you can buy a brand new keg and ferment in that and still spend less. Their business model makes no sense to me.

As for the Speidel, I ordered a few yesterday when they went up on sale. If you happen to get a shipping notification from MoreBeer, please speak up. I'd love to know when they start to roll out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
scottkct
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
San Diego, CA
Posts: 36
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Yes they certainly are to be used for primary. In fact I stopped doing 2ndary a while back. I've found that for the effort required, there was little to no return in quality. Others say the same on this board. Only exception would be for long aging or adjunct additions.

I use mine with single fermentation and I dump the hot/cold break/whirlfloc in too. I strain hops. I'm able to draw samples fine. The very first draw is dumped until clear and then runs clear after.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
uberg33k
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 365
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


FYI my Speidel fermenters just shipped! Anyone who ordered on this round should have them soon!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
prohl84
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 332
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts


Alright, I am convinced. I am going to assume that if I want to make full 5 gal batches I should go for the 30L? Or will that .3 gal accommodate a large krausen? If I decide I can convince SWMBO (I bought two carboys a month ago; and a blichmann burner for the craigslist kettles I found ) I will get the 30L since it is a $6 difference... space is a factor.

How often/ long do these fermenters go 'out of stock'?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
uberg33k
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 365
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by prohl84 View Post
Alright, I am convinced. I am going to assume that if I want to make full 5 gal batches I should go for the 30L? Or will that .3 gal accommodate a large krausen? If I decide I can convince SWMBO (I bought two carboys a month ago; and a blichmann burner for the craigslist kettles I found ) I will get the 30L since it is a $6 difference... space is a factor.

How often/ long do these fermenters go 'out of stock'?
You want the 30L for 5gal batches, at least for your primary. .3gal is nowhere near enough for a vigorous krausen. I'm getting a couple of 20L too, but they're mostly for secondaries/partial batches.

I'm surprised they aren't already out of stock. These things tend to fly off the shelf. When you compare the price to a Better Bottle with port/racking arm/dry airlock, you'll know why.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
forstmeister
 
forstmeister's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,201
Liked 182 Times on 138 Posts


When you use these for primary and transfer to a keg, is it as simple as putting a length of hose on the spigot and opening the spigot slowly?

That seems too simple almost! And there's minimal trub transfer? Or does it help to put a strainer on the end of the hose?
__________________
I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
Mb2658
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
, NE
Posts: 421
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by forstmeister
When you use these for primary and transfer to a keg, is it as simple as putting a length of hose on the spigot and opening the spigot slowly?

That seems too simple almost! And there's minimal trub transfer? Or does it help to put a strainer on the end of the hose?
That's how I do it. The spigot is slightly higher than the bottom of the fermenter so the yeast and trub settle out and don't come close to the spigot. I have noticed that a small amount of yeast will settle out in the spigot due to gravity but the amount is very small and it has stayed in place during racking. If you don't want to use the spigot, it comes with a screw cap so you can remove the spigot and cap it off. You would then use an auto siphon or some other method just like a carboy. I can't emphasize enough how easy cleaning these things is. I love mine.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speidel Plastic Tanks triangulum33 General Beer Discussion 593 07-08-2016 09:07 PM
Speidel Fermenters? dsal89 Fermentation & Yeast 9 03-23-2014 09:30 PM
WTB Speidel 30L Tank thrillhouse For Sale 3 07-20-2012 01:14 AM
Speidel system oscdav Equipment/Sanitation 1 03-20-2012 01:38 PM


Forum Jump