Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel or Better Bottle?

Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkct View Post
Was just about to post this myself. Just received an email from B3 saying the 7.9s were back in. Get 'em while they're hot!

Old 03-27-2013, 03:00 AM   #12
Mb2658
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I ordered 3 more 30L ones. Now I just have to keep an eye out for when the 60L ones come back into stock.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
prohl84
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Wow these look awesome! I have never seen these before but I am glad they're back.

Can anyone using them for primary comment on the height of the spigot as far as transferring off of the trub is concerned?

Anybody try the "Cavern" from Deep Woods Brew? Stainless steel drum fermenters they refer to as being carboy style. Way pricier but I imagine quite a bit more durable.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
uberg33k
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by prohl84 View Post
Wow these look awesome! I have never seen these before but I am glad they're back.

Can anyone using them for primary comment on the height of the spigot as far as transferring off of the trub is concerned?

Anybody try the "Cavern" from Deep Woods Brew? Stainless steel drum fermenters they refer to as being carboy style. Way pricier but I imagine quite a bit more durable.
They're essentially selling olive oil futsi with a hole drilled in the top for a heck of a mark up. Here is an example of another store selling the same thing (essentially) for $50 less http://thevintnervault.com/product/2...-30-liter.html At the price DWB is charging, you can buy a brand new keg and ferment in that and still spend less. Their business model makes no sense to me.

As for the Speidel, I ordered a few yesterday when they went up on sale. If you happen to get a shipping notification from MoreBeer, please speak up. I'd love to know when they start to roll out.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
scottkct
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes they certainly are to be used for primary. In fact I stopped doing 2ndary a while back. I've found that for the effort required, there was little to no return in quality. Others say the same on this board. Only exception would be for long aging or adjunct additions.

I use mine with single fermentation and I dump the hot/cold break/whirlfloc in too. I strain hops. I'm able to draw samples fine. The very first draw is dumped until clear and then runs clear after.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
uberg33k
Recipes 

FYI my Speidel fermenters just shipped! Anyone who ordered on this round should have them soon!

Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
prohl84
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Alright, I am convinced. I am going to assume that if I want to make full 5 gal batches I should go for the 30L? Or will that .3 gal accommodate a large krausen? If I decide I can convince SWMBO (I bought two carboys a month ago; and a blichmann burner for the craigslist kettles I found ) I will get the 30L since it is a $6 difference... space is a factor.

How often/ long do these fermenters go 'out of stock'?

Old 03-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
uberg33k
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prohl84 View Post
Alright, I am convinced. I am going to assume that if I want to make full 5 gal batches I should go for the 30L? Or will that .3 gal accommodate a large krausen? If I decide I can convince SWMBO (I bought two carboys a month ago; and a blichmann burner for the craigslist kettles I found ) I will get the 30L since it is a $6 difference... space is a factor.

How often/ long do these fermenters go 'out of stock'?
You want the 30L for 5gal batches, at least for your primary. .3gal is nowhere near enough for a vigorous krausen. I'm getting a couple of 20L too, but they're mostly for secondaries/partial batches.

I'm surprised they aren't already out of stock. These things tend to fly off the shelf. When you compare the price to a Better Bottle with port/racking arm/dry airlock, you'll know why.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
forstmeister
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 32

When you use these for primary and transfer to a keg, is it as simple as putting a length of hose on the spigot and opening the spigot slowly?

That seems too simple almost! And there's minimal trub transfer? Or does it help to put a strainer on the end of the hose?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
Mb2658
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by forstmeister
When you use these for primary and transfer to a keg, is it as simple as putting a length of hose on the spigot and opening the spigot slowly?

That seems too simple almost! And there's minimal trub transfer? Or does it help to put a strainer on the end of the hose?
That's how I do it. The spigot is slightly higher than the bottom of the fermenter so the yeast and trub settle out and don't come close to the spigot. I have noticed that a small amount of yeast will settle out in the spigot due to gravity but the amount is very small and it has stayed in place during racking. If you don't want to use the spigot, it comes with a screw cap so you can remove the spigot and cap it off. You would then use an auto siphon or some other method just like a carboy. I can't emphasize enough how easy cleaning these things is. I love mine.