Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Question on using Cold Brewed Coffee to a Porter or a Stout
Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Question on using Cold Brewed Coffee to a Porter or a Stout

I've never added Coffee to any of my stouts or porters but i find that others that do are excellent taste. What are the recommended ways to coldbrew coffee? What type of roast should i use? How much should i add for a nice rich flavor without going overboard? Will adding the Coffee to Secondary make a porter Black?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've used cold-brewed, grounds in boil, and crushed beans in secondary- sometimes just one method in each batch, other times 2 or all 3 methods in a batch. I always find cold-brewed added to secondary or at bottling the best method.
Get a French press or nylon straining bag. Take roughly 6-8 oz. water, bring to boil and allow to cool. This will drive off any O2 or chloromines. Add 3-4 oz of Coarsely ground coffee beans to the water and place in the fridge for 24 hrs. The coffee should be like "sludge"-really thick. Add to keg or bottling bucket or secondary. Usually coffee is very up front for the first month, but tends to mellow and meld.
Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.