Is bottle conditioning necessary? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is bottle conditioning necessary?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Awsduncan
Recipes 

Jan 2013

I'm new to brewing with my first batch currently fermenting.

I want to know if bottle conditioning is necessary? Can the beer be bottled without the yeast residue like shop bought beer??

Ali

Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
CCericola
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Atco, NJ
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Yes but you'd need to filter, keg, force carbonate, and then bottle from that.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
collingswood, nj
Liked 1145 Times on 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsduncan View Post
I'm new to brewing with my first batch currently fermenting.

I want to know if bottle conditioning is necessary? Can the beer be bottled without the yeast residue like shop bought beer??

Ali
A lot of store bought brews are bottle conditioned. The yeast will cake on the bottom of the bottle. The longer it is conditioned and the longer it is in the fridge, the tighter the yeast cake gets.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #4
MikeyPipes86
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

If you ultimately plan on putting your beer in bottles, you will need to bottle condition unless you have a kegging setup. You'll need 2-3 weeks to achieve carbonation. Really no other way around it.
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Bottled: Miracle Maker (Irish Honey Red), Lederhosen Lager, Bloodthirsty Wheat (Blood orange Hefeweizen) Freckled Bull (Spotted Cow clone), Amber of My Eye, Zack Attack Blonde Ale

Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
jwalk4
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2012
London, Ontario
Liked 160 Times on 130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyPipes86 View Post
If you ultimately plan on putting your beer in bottles, you will need to bottle condition unless you have a kegging setup. You'll need 2-3 weeks to achieve carbonation. Really no other way around it.
Not that I'm advocating it, but you can force carb and then bottle. Some "Brew on Site" places offer such services. But they will charge you, and you'll probably get a poorer tasting, albiet maybe a clearer, beer. Might be worth the effort if you wanted to make a light lager or something...
Beer styles I'm trying to nail down: APA, Porter, Mild, Amber, & Something Yellow and Fizzy.