Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Black clumps/flakes in primary?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
abifolck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Black clumps/flakes in primary?

Hi guys,

I'm a big believer in "relax, have a homebrew," so I try to not overreact when something unexpected happens, but this gave me pause.

When I opened the lid of my primary to rack the beer, I noticed what looked like flakes/clumps of off-color (black) krausen floating on top of the beer. There's definitely some typical tan-colored krausen stuck on the sides of the fermenter, and this stuff is in stark contrast to it - it's very black. See attached pics. I of course tasted the beer and there are no off-flavors that I can detect.

Details: this was a BIAB batch of a red rye ale that fermented for 2 weeks at 68 degrees F (FG = 1.013 - higher than I'd like, but ok). The yeast was Nottingham. This is the second time I've brewed this batch, and the only thing I changed was substituting a couple pounds of 2-row for a couple pounds of wheat malt and rice hulls. Needless to say, I didn't see any of this last time. I didn't notice any of these flakes (or other black/burnt material) coming out of my brew kettle. I use hop pellets in muslin bags during the boil, which were of course removed. I didn't dry hop or add anything that wasn't wort to the primary.

I'll see how it looks after a couple of more weeks of aging at room temp, and I'll reassess then.

Any thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Black stuff1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	92700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black stuff2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	92701  

Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #2
dumsboa09
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abifolck
Hi guys,

I'm a big believer in "relax, have a homebrew," so I try to not overreact when something unexpected happens, but this gave me pause.

When I opened the lid of my primary to rack the beer, I noticed what looked like flakes/clumps of off-color (black) krausen floating on top of the beer. There's definitely some typical tan-colored krausen stuck on the sides of the fermenter, and this stuff is in stark contrast to it - it's very black. See attached pics. I of course tasted the beer and there are no off-flavors that I can detect.

Details: this was a BIAB batch of a red rye ale that fermented for 2 weeks at 68 degrees F (FG = 1.013 - higher than I'd like, but ok). The yeast was Nottingham. This is the second time I've brewed this batch, and the only thing I changed was substituting a couple pounds of 2-row for a couple pounds of wheat malt and rice hulls. Needless to say, I didn't see any of this last time. I didn't notice any of these flakes (or other black/burnt material) coming out of my brew kettle. I use hop pellets in muslin bags during the boil, which were of course removed. I didn't dry hop or add anything that wasn't wort to the primary.

I'm going to let it age for another few weeks at room temp, and whatever it has has grown/spread, - I'll reluctantly chuck the batch.

Any thoughts?
Did it smell sour like vinegar?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #3
abifolck
Recipes 

Thanks for your reply, dumsboa. I saved a sample of the stuff (q-tipped the side of the primary and put it in a ziplock bag). I just gave it a good sniff and I can't smell anything out of the ordinary. It smells like it usually does when you first open up the primary and that blast of krausen/alcohol/yeast hits you. But after a couple of weeks I'll smell the corny that I have it aging in. What would a sour smell like vinegar suggest? Bacteria in general, I imagine?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
dumsboa09
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abifolck
Thanks for your reply, dumsboa. I saved a sample of the stuff (q-tipped the side of the primary and put it in a ziplock bag). I just gave it a good sniff and I can't smell anything out of the ordinary. It smells like it usually does when you first open up the primary and that blast of krausen/alcohol/yeast hits you. But after a couple of weeks I'll smell the corny that I have it aging in. What would a sour smell like vinegar suggest? Bacteria in general, I imagine?
Yes some sort of infection. All in all if it goes through ferment and doesn't smell bad or taste bad then drink it. After all its beer!
abifolck Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
abifolck
Recipes 

Sounds good! I'll let you know!