Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Not Buying BMC Ever Again... Am I alone in this?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
emmdubb23
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Sorry, I'll butt out of this thread with this: I don't understand why anyone starts a thread about beers they don't like.

I have beers I don't like, and everyone else does too. Of course it comes down to personal preference.
Its not about what I don't like I was just curious if I was alone in this thought...

I guess I am

Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #22
RandomBeerGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 23

BMC is bigger than just what we think of some of the craft breweries that I see in the stores are owned by B,M,C they like to hide with the rest of us. I still enjoy coors when I want to pee alot in one night.

schokie Likes This 
Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #23
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I've not bought beer to bring home in over two years now. Never really cared much for what BMC produced. Never tried Yeungling so I can't comment on their brews, but I'm not inclined to buy any to find out. I used to buy Guinness, Murphy's, Boddington's, and a couple of Sam Adams beers when I was buying. Sam Adams was meh most of the time (rarely had more than one). The others were bought only so often since they were more $$ for the amount you got. I would always go for the larger cans (with the nitrogen inside).

I won't begrudge a smaller brewery their success. IMO, any that can take market share away from BMC at least deserves respect, even if you don't purchase their products. That being said, I really don't have much respect for Sam Adams anymore.

When I go to a restaurant/pub/etc. I ask what's on tap. If there's something that sounds good, I'll get a sample first (if possible) and then order a pint accordingly. Unless I already know the brew is at least decent to drink. That being said, it's so easy to go to places that simply don't know how to properly dispense a style. Putting it on the wrong gas system can also completely change a brew. I had some Sam Smith where it was on nitrogen. I then had the same brew (at another place) that was on CO2. VERY different in the glass. I now also make it a point to ask what a place has on nitro.

BTW, there is a place in Portsmouth, NH that has really, really good Guinness. They clean the lines with each keg change (or at least they did the last time I went there) and have a rather high keg turnover. Several of the taps are dedicated to Guinness (or were). I need to get the name of the place so that I can swing in next time I go through that area. They also had a pretty good Ruben (more traditional, so done up right).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #24
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmdubb23 View Post
I like my house stout, bold city 1901, and intuition king street stout better than Guinness...
Different beers for different times, places, friends. Beer is nice in that there is a beer for every occasion. Saying what you did on the OP was requiring input from others since we all LOVE beer and want others to as well. Just a thought.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #25
Channel66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1050 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmdubb23 View Post

I like my house stout, bold city 1901, and intuition king street stout better than Guinness...
I like plenty of beers better than Guinness. However a Guinness pint at one of the Guinness "best pint" pubs is a wonderful wonderful thing.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #26
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 199

You're probably not alone, though its looking lome you might be. Plus, you just sound haughty... like a person who only buys groceries from Whole Foods

Latest Article from Brulosophy: Sloppy Old Slurry Starter vs. Fresh Yeast | exBEERiment Results!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #27
emmdubb23
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
You're probably not alone, though its looking lome you might be. Plus, you just sound haughty... like a person who only buys groceries from Whole Foods
That's SWMBO, except it's grassroots, whole foods is too corporate.
Jk... Sort of...
Funny thing. I work for Walmart logistics...
Talk about working for THE MAN!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #28
martiniw2olives
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I like BMC when eating painfully spicy food. Because there is no real flavor, it kind of cuts through the heat and all you get is cold fizzy relief.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #29
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Exactly! Even though we agree with you for the most part. It just sounds pompous. Just like if I were to say I would never step foot in a Applebees, Chile's, TGI Fridays, etc...because there are way better, local restaurants out there.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #30
jason91notch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I dont care for how AB/In-Bev is approaching the craft market so I steer clear of them and their products.
That being said, I am a very happy employee at Coors, where I have great pay and insanely good benefits, (which includes lots of free beer, from banquet to Leinenkugels). Being a happy Coors employee may make me biased towards them, and I admit that. Still, roughly 80-90% of what I drink is local craft and/or my homebrews.