Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How long to lager for??

Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
beno1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How long to lager for??

Ive made a coopers lager extract recipe
Using saflager yeast a tin of coopers lager 1kg of brew enhancer 2 and 300g of dex and will be dry hopping 15 g of hersbruker hops.i fermented for 13 days at around 12 degrees celciues. When fermaentation had finished i racked to my glass carboy and bought the temp down to about 3 or 4 degees celcius for cold conditioning. Its been cold conditioning for about a week now but im getting inpatiant as ive run out of beer. Im thinking of chucking the hops in now for a further 7 days then kegging it. So all up will have about 2 week of cold conditioning. Will it be ok after only 2 weeks of CC?? The beer is nice and clear after primary so im not fussed about that and also will it make much of a diffrwnce to the taste ? Or is 2 weeks CC not long enough??

Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 75

If its clear, IMO, its ready. Don't dry hop it. Its not appropriate and you'll have to wait again for the hops to clear out.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
beno1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok thanks for the advice. What if i chuck the hops in a hop bag with a few marble to sink it to the bottom then wait about 7 days? Will that work? Ive never dry hopped before so rhis is new to me. Im just after aroma and possibly a slight bit of flavour.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 77

A lager really should spend at least 4 weeks at 3-4C. I don't dry hop lagers.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
beno1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Will it make a huge diffrence having only an extra 2 weeks tho? I will be kegging it and it will be in the keg at that temp anyway for at least a couple of weeks. When u say it should be in there for at least 4 weeks? What are the main benifits? Taste?? Coz im happy with how clear the beer is now

Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
rpg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have a lot of lager experience, but on the few occasions I've done lagers I've noticed a big difference with a few extra weeks cold conditioning. The beer went from kind of bad to pretty good.

That said, if you’re kegging the beer I guess you could cold condition it in the keg. Then you can taste it once a week and see for yourself how the flavor changes over time.