So about last night . - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > So about last night .

Old 01-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
miker1529

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Norfolk, VA
Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

So last night I'm sound asleep after a long night of getting / making Empty's for my bottle stock. And I hear it a light boom and then the sound of glass and water hitting the floor. So I think ... A robber. Because my finished beer is just under a window in my house. So I grab my home defense item near my bed and run to that room of my home.
What do I find .... A bottle had exploded ..... Odd because I bottled it less than 48 hours before hand.

So I ask all wtf happen? The bottle was a empty made from a red hook IPA bottle with a standard gold cap it was brushed out cleaner then sanitized with star San . Before I bottled it. It also had at least a inch of space till full. I also checked a few other bottles. They had not yet carbed well. I primed them with all with 5 oz of corn sugar. In the 5 gal bottling bucket. The sugar was added to a cup odd boiling water before it was added to the beer for bottling .

Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 527 Times on 400 Posts

Did you gently stir the beer after adding the priming solution? If you just dump it in, it usually just settles to the bottom. Then, the first few bottles get way too much and the rest don't get enough. The ones that get the extra may go 'BOOM'. Sounds like that may be the problem.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5314 Times on 4522 Posts

The sound of the exploding bottle scared away the burglar. Home-brew for the win.

FourSeasonAngler Likes This 
Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
miker1529

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Norfolk, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Did you gently stir the beer after adding the priming solution? If you just dump it in, it usually just settles to the bottom. Then, the first few bottles get way too much and the rest don't get enough. The ones that get the extra may go 'BOOM'. Sounds like that may be the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
The sound of the exploding bottle scared away the burglar. Home-brew for the win.
Hammy yes I did. Stir it.

Zuljin no no one was there but that's way they are there.

One more thing to note I found out where that bottle came from it was a red hook IPA bottle. But I got it from a friend he stated he delabeled and then ran it thu his high temp dish washer.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
North Augusta, SC
Liked 199 Times on 150 Posts

Reading the title, I thought we were going to discuss early Demi Moore...

Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 527 Times on 400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Glider View Post
Reading the title, I thought we were going to discuss early Demi Moore...
Mmmmmmmmmm

Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
CoalCracker

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Macungie, Pa
Liked 106 Times on 65 Posts

What was the FG of the beer before you bottled it? Probably not done all the way.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
davekippen

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Grand Ledge, MI
Liked 164 Times on 127 Posts

I think sometimes bottles just have flaws. I had one short 12oz'r blow up spontaneously and none of the others had an issue.I chalked it up to a defective bottle. Im sure that not 100% of bottles are perfect. Would be interesting to hear from someone at a "real" brewery what kind of bottle fall-out they have.
Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
solbes
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ramsey & Akeley, Mn
Liked 237 Times on 217 Posts

I have some Redhook bottles that have gone through at least 3 batches of beer with no issues. Probably had one with a crack or flaw of some kind.

Your priming and bottling sequence sounds perfect. Once in sugar solution after boiling, it should mix very readily into the beer.
Primary #1: Umlaut my Kölsch VII #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Cab MerMarqeNac Wine
Kegged
: Mugged a Monk Paters
Bottles
: Dark Belgian Strong, Black Raspberry Rhubarb wine, RIS, Carmel Apple Cider, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine, Black Currant wine
On Deck: BGSA

Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
miker1529

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Norfolk, VA

Ya it has been a few days the rest of the bottles are fine I think it may of been a flaw. Or just the heat during the dish washers sanitation cycle .cracking it Because I remember my uncle who was a bottler in St. Louis at ab saying that today's bottles have a little plastic mixed into them.