Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I might just convert small batch AG

Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
naristov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I might just convert small batch AG

Due to space and stove limitations I have only been brewing extract beers. I did however make a 2.5 gallon AG Eggnog Stout....and boy was that delicious. My extract beers have come out pretty good, most people who try them like them. The AG was fresher tasting and had more distinct flavors. I'm thinking of switching to AG small batches.

Bottled:EggNog Stout, Dead Ringer IPA
Next: Smoked Cherry Ale, Jalapeno Session

Drinking: Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale , Ommegang Abbey Ale

Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
chicken
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have been considering the same thing. I've got several stove top partial mashes under my belt, and am thinking 2.5 gallon all grain batches might be the next step.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
naristov
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken View Post
I have been considering the same thing. I've got several stove top partial mashes under my belt, and am thinking 2.5 gallon all grain batches might be the next step.
I would go for it. It's not much "harder" to do. The down side is you get less beer, but it also means less bottling (yay!) also it means you can make more batches of beer (yay!).

This is the method I followed for the most part

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/all-...t-pics-142648/
Bottled:EggNog Stout, Dead Ringer IPA
Next: Smoked Cherry Ale, Jalapeno Session

Drinking: Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale , Ommegang Abbey Ale

Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I did my first stove-top as an all-grain last week (my first BIAB too) - Very easy and fun. I like being able to split the beer into small primaries too (Carlo Rossi gallon jugs).

A great way to experiment and learn without committing to 5 gallons!

The only thing I needed was a paint strainer bag from Lowes, some clamps to hold the bag in the pot, and a mini auto-siphon to get the beer out of the gallon jugs.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
philjohnwilliams
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken View Post
I just brewed a partial mash, and was thinking the exact same thing. I have all I need to do this BIAB so no extra equipment cost.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

Most I can boil stove top is 3 gallons ending volume and have went from 1.5-2.5 gal batches recently. However now I bought a bottleing bucket which is 6.5 gal. Now I want to try a 5 gallon Partial and use my bucket to ferment in. All I would have to do is mash then top off or even boil a few pounds of extract/few gallons of water to get to 5 gallons.