how to drink a 12 oz beer - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how to drink a 12 oz beer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 762
Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts



I know this sounds a little stupid, but I have been unsucsessful at getting the desired carbonation in my 12 oz bottles. I have tried bulk priming and single priming and I opened a bottle last night that was bottled on 12-1 so it was 30 plus days carbing. It diddnt seem to be as carbonated as commercial beer. Should I
  1. shake it before opening
    1. do nothing and open it and pour
  1. add more priming sugar at bottling stage
I either use 1/2 tsp if single priming or 5 oz to a 5 gallon batch. Id like to hear what you say.

TheGoodNamesWereAllTaken Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
jethro55
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 591
Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts


5 oz of corn sugar to a 4-5 gallon batch has not failed yet through 4 batches.

I am using EZ cap swing top bottles. Are your bottles sealed?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Posts: 750
Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts


never shake it, i havent bottled in a while since moving to kegs im sure it 3/4 cup corn sugar with 1/4 cup water for 5 gallons bring to boil and add during bottling. Wait 2 weeks in a 70 degree place and it should be done.
__________________
Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 762
Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro55 View Post
5 oz of corn sugar to a 4-5 gallon batch has not failed yet through 4 batches.

I am using EZ cap swing top bottles. Are your bottles sealed?
I wonder that, I use a wing style capper and have a hammer capper, It seems I get a better seal with the hammer capper, but I thank you for that idea. I might buy a few and experiment. On occasion. I see some of my capped beers have sweat on the inside glass in the dead space. I will pay closer attention to this.

I gave my brother-in-law one the other day, He poured it and it looked awsome and he said it tasted awsome. I was jealouse. he must have got a good sealed one. It even had a decent amount of head which is what Ive been aiming for.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 762
Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBeerGuy View Post
never shake it, i havent bottled in a while since moving to kegs im sure it 3/4 cup corn sugar with 1/4 cup water for 5 gallons bring to boil and add during bottling. Wait 2 weeks in a 70 degree place and it should be done.
Whats the reason for not shaking, I noticed people that carb into 2 liter's will shake it.HMM

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
signpost
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Berkley, Michigan
Posts: 1,316
Liked 156 Times on 134 Posts


Are you talking carbonation or foam/head retention? If bubbles continue to form and dissipate as you drink the beer, that probably means it is carbonated juts fine but it is dissipating quickly. I've read comments in numerous threads suggesting that residual detergent on glassware can cause this problem. I've even done the cheap-o test on a couple early batches of mine when I thought I had this same problem.

Try getting some plastic party cups (solo cups) and pouring a beer in one. give it a fairly vigorous pour to create a solid head. See if it sticks around for a bit. Then, when you are ready for your second beer, give a similar pour in one of your normal glasses. See if it has a different result.
__________________
Fermenting - BBD Sour; Oat No! (an Oat Wine); Signpost Old Ale; Chris' Tall Ale 2.0; SSB (Signpost Sour Blonde); County Western Bottled - NB Ares' Biere de Mars; Ol' Bitter Bastard; Chris' Tall Ale; 4 small batch sour blends - 1 w/ cherries and 1 w/ peaches; Back To School Porter w/cacao & vanilla; Signpost Creek Paint Cider; Signpost Oud Bruin; Land of Pils and Honey, Imp. Saison with Clover Honey; Ad Hoc Berliner Weisse Kegged - BBD WIPA (but I think it has chlorophenolics); Keg #2 is EMPTY!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 762
Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost View Post
Are you talking carbonation or foam/head retention? If bubbles continue to form and dissipate as you drink the beer, that probably means it is carbonated juts fine but it is dissipating quickly. I've read comments in numerous threads suggesting that residual detergent on glassware can cause this problem. I've even done the cheap-o test on a couple early batches of mine when I thought I had this same problem.

Try getting some plastic party cups (solo cups) and pouring a beer in one. give it a fairly vigorous pour to create a solid head. See if it sticks around for a bit. Then, when you are ready for your second beer, give a similar pour in one of your normal glasses. See if it has a different result.
Deffinatly food for thought, I use cipton for cleaner and iodine for sanitizer, I wonder if this has any effect! there are 3 brew shops in town 1 guy swears by the iodine and the others swear by Iodophor and starsan, mabey ill try a new sanitiser too!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
F250
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 517
Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by yewtah-brewha View Post
Whats the reason for not shaking, I noticed people that carb into 2 liter's will shake it.HMM
Try it. In fact, go do it right now and then give us a range report.

Rick
__________________
Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 762
Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
Try it. In fact, go do it right now and then give us a range report.

Rick
I have tried it, all it seems to do is mix the priming sugar in the bottom with the rest of the beer, It tastes no different and if anything is a little more carbed!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
hoppyhoppyhippo
 
hoppyhoppyhippo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 2,710
Liked 414 Times on 338 Posts


You don't shake cause all that stuff at the bottom of beer is yeast and hop/grain fallout and things like that. Not stuff that's bad if you drink it but will change the flavor of the beer and may make things move south a little faster

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
.... but I want to drink my beer now!!! mtbiker278 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 43 11-19-2010 03:59 PM
Always know what beer to drink hopdhopshops General Chit Chat 2 01-12-2010 10:04 PM
when can I drink my beer? madiba Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 04-24-2009 02:01 PM
How much beer do you drink? TJ-Bill General Chit Chat 34 12-05-2008 01:52 PM
I Said DON'T DRINK MY BEER! ucrider Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 17 08-10-2008 02:32 PM


Forum Jump