Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Decoction Mash

Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
nashtymail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Decoction Mash

Can anyone tell me how to brew using a decoction mash? I know that you slowly raise the temperature throughout the mash. But, how exactly do you do that. Is it by adding more hot water to the mash, and if so how much?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Dirty25
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Brewing TV has a good show on decoction mashing. You basically boil part of the mash to raise the temp.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
JasonToews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

get ready for a long brew day! My normal 5 hour brew day turned into 9 hours!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymail View Post
Can anyone tell me how to brew using a decoction mash? I know that you slowly raise the temperature throughout the mash. But, how exactly do you do that. Is it by adding more hot water to the mash, and if so how much?
What you describe is step mashing using infusions. Decoction involves taking a sizeable portion of thick mash and slowly bringing it to steps, and boil, then returning some or all of it to the main mash to reach the next step temp.

Watch that video. It's what I used the first time. it does add time, but it's not complicated. Just have another decent size pot, and a sieve or something on hand to pull the mash out without leaving a lot of wort with it.

I think it's kind of fun, but the only beer I did back to back was a wheat. The decoction batch was better, but I only have one data point.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
somedudefromguam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You don't have to do a Decoction mash to raise the temp of the mash. You can just add boiling water to reach your desired temp. Decoction Mashes are a traditional German mash that allow you to get more malty characteristics into the finnished product.