I like this time at night on HBT - Page 927 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I like this time at night on HBT

Old 08-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #9261
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Apr 2009
middle of nowhere
Liked 183 Times on 136 Posts

Both man and beast benefit from the production of large amounts of delicious pork.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130818_222521.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	142771

Leadgolem Likes This 
Old 08-19-2013, 02:42 AM   #9262
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Jan 2013
The Hinterland of the South Shore, Massachusetts
Liked 659 Times on 461 Posts

Bah...just cracked a milk stout that I brewed a few months ago and had in the fridge for a week - poured it out and it was filled with little white floaties. Not overcarbonated, tastes OK, but I don't think these floaties were yeast. I have to somehow check the rest of the batch, tough because I can't see into the bottles. I might have a dumper on my hands.

My last two batches sucked for some reason. I'm not sure what is up, but I hope my current brews get back on track. My Centennial pale ale looks and smells awesome (knock on wood), and I am going to brew up an English pale ale next week. My pipeline is getting a little thin.

Leadgolem Likes This 
Old 08-19-2013, 03:06 AM   #9263
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Liked 1041 Times on 781 Posts

Oh, my these are good. I popped them out of the pan immediately. I figured it was my best shot at getting them out without making a mess. They didn't really stick, but there is no oil in the bottom of the pan. I buttered the tops.

I can't even tell you how good these are. The fresh bread, the butter, the cheese, the salty bacon, the bratz and onions. I think I just made my own kryptonite. Other then being a little to hot, the spice mix was spot on too. It helps I haven't eaten anything today, but still. Definitely recording exactly how I made these.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0025.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	142780  

Old 08-19-2013, 03:08 AM   #9264
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Liked 1048 Times on 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
Bah...just cracked a milk stout that I brewed a few months ago and had in the fridge for a week - poured it out and it was filled with little white floaties. Not overcarbonated, tastes OK, but I don't think these floaties were yeast. I have to somehow check the rest of the batch, tough because I can't see into the bottles. I might have a dumper on my hands.

My last two batches sucked for some reason. I'm not sure what is up, but I hope my current brews get back on track. My Centennial pale ale looks and smells awesome (knock on wood), and I am going to brew up an English pale ale next week. My pipeline is getting a little thin.
I had that problem about a year ago. I started getting more anal about bottle cleaning. I used to just rinse a couple times after I poured out a bottle. Now all bottles get a good overnight soak in oxiclean every time I re-use them. I never had another problem ever again. I also noticed that my beers have a much longer shelf life, too.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #9265
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Liked 1048 Times on 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Oh, my these are good. I popped them out of the pan immediately. I figured it was my best shot at getting them out without making a mess. They didn't really stick, but there is no oil in the bottom of the pan. I buttered the tops.

I can't even tell you how good these are. The fresh bread, the butter, the cheese, the salty bacon, the bratz and onions. I think I just made my own kryptonite. Other then being a little to hot, the spice mix was spot on too. It helps I haven't eaten anything today, but still. Definitely recording exactly how I made these.
I'm definitely going to have to steal this idea from you. It sounds really good!

Leadgolem Likes This 
Old 08-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #9266
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I'm definitely going to have to steal this idea from you. It sounds really good!
Feel free. I stole the basic idea from a cooking show called Kelsey's Essentials anyway. Though mine have different ingredients.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #9267
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado

Ah, this was the recipe I got the idea from.
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/reci...el-swirls.html

Old 08-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #9268
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I had that problem about a year ago. I started getting more anal about bottle cleaning. I used to just rinse a couple times after I poured out a bottle. Now all bottles get a good overnight soak in oxiclean every time I re-use them. I never had another problem ever again. I also noticed that my beers have a much longer shelf life, too.
The stout is the only one that seems to be infected. I'll need to check the other bottles - if they are all infected then that likely means something got into the fermentor. We'll see. A good bleach bombing is probably in order anyway since I had all my equipment out in the shed over the summer.

For some of the other batches, I think I just shocked the **** out of my yeast doing just jarring things; pitching dry yeast without rehydration into wort, slamming them with alternately warm wort and chilled RO, not enough oxygenation. I think I was getting cocky thinking that nothing could go wrong, so I cut some corners and got sloppy. I got some weird off flavors. It was beer, but I'm drinking it just to get it to go away.

For this last pale ale, I rehydrated in 105F tap water for 15 minutes, cooling it down to about 90F, and then pitched the properly hydrated yeast into my still warmish (~80F) partial boil wort, and then adding make-up water from the tap. The tap water was about 65F, and I took 2 quarts at a time in a gallon jug and shook the dickens out of it for about a minute before adding it.

The next day I had to grab some krausen beer out of that batch, and since I was stirring and punching down the cap in my wine, I decided to also give my pale ale a nice stir. It looks and smells like a happy beer so far. I'm going to secondary this batch in a few days, and if the yeast cake looks and smells happy, I think I will pitch some slurry on my English pale ale and let it ride.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #9269
Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2180 Times on 1365 Posts

Have I ever mentioned just how much I like this time of night and love this thread? Well, if not I just have one thing to say.

Creativity flows through here like an old river that keeps on changing course through time. The seasons change, the landscape is reshaped, life happens but always the river flows. Forever seeking a new channel and continually strengthened by new tributaries. At times the river is slow, and at times fast and furious. But always flowing and growing to a never end.

Cheers to you guys and to HBT!

People Like This 
Old 08-19-2013, 03:48 AM   #9270
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Jan 2013

It occurs to me that I have 2 big and one small ferments going, all cranking out tons of CO2 in my small little house. I should probably crack a door and open a window to make sure I don't snuff myself.

There's a One-Minute Mystery for you - A man is found dead in a house where all the doors and windows were closed and locked. He is surrounded by buckets full of beer and wine. What happened?