I like this time at night on HBT - Page 747 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I like this time at night on HBT

Old 05-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #7461
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Jan 2013
The Hinterland of the South Shore, Massachusetts
Liked 660 Times on 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Didn't you just post that? Yep, she's great. Reminds me a bit of Brandie Carlile.
No, I posted another awesome song from Serena Ryder. Why the heck isn't she on the radio in the U.S.? Damn commercial radio in this country wouldn't know talent if it slapped them in the face.

EDIT: Well, no...I did post this earlier . But damn, it is worth listening to twice.

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 02:15 AM   #7462
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Liked 1046 Times on 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
I know it's a little early for HBT's resident frozen dessert expert to be in here, but....

Lots of dark chocolate ice cream recipes call for instant coffee. I'm making some crazy chocolate ice cream for my anniversary beer dinner tomorrow. I bought some very good chocolate and I feel a little silly using instant coffee. Not sure if instant coffee goes bad, but I'm pretty sure it was bought to make ice cream and has been in the cabinet yearsish. So I started thinking, why not use some chocolate malt ground to a powder instead?
Erm, I hope you weren't talking about me. I've been making ice cream a lot lately but I'm not very good at it yet....

Hmm, I really have no idea what that would taste like.

A little coffee is to chocolate what salt is to meat. You don't taste coffee, you just taste the chocolate more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbaumannerb View Post
I'd go with a cold-press or cold-brewed coffee and just make it strong, using a liquid that is part of the recipe so you don't water it down.
This sounds like a good idea.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #7463
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Liked 1048 Times on 641 Posts

I've used cold pressed coffee in ice cream, and I didn't like the results. The water in the coffee made the ice cream have a crystalized mouth feel instead of being creamy and smooth like ice cream should be. I would highly recommend the instant coffee. It's likely still good after a year. Heck I'd probably even like finely ground coffee beans right in the mix myself.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:33 AM   #7464
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Liked 1046 Times on 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I've used cold pressed coffee in ice cream, and I didn't like the results. The water in the coffee made the ice cream have a crystalized mouth feel instead of being creamy and smooth like ice cream should be. I would highly recommend the instant coffee. It's likely still good after a year. Heck I'd probably even like finely ground coffee beans right in the mix myself.
I tried that in chocolate. I couldn't get the coffee into a fine enough powder, it always came out gritty.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #7465
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
El Paso, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
I tried that in chocolate. I couldn't get the coffee into a fine enough powder, it always came out gritty.
I'm just weird enough to like that. I like chocolate covered espresso beans. Have you ever had those?

Old 05-30-2013, 03:02 AM   #7466
Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2196 Times on 1377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I'm just weird enough to like that. I like chocolate covered espresso beans. Have you ever had those?
Those are righteous! I like the crunch of the coffee bean and the sweet chocolate. Bitter, sweet and crunchy. Hard to beat!

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:03 AM   #7467
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
El Paso, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Those are righteous! I like the crunch of the coffee bean and the sweet chocolate. Bitter, sweet and crunchy. Hard to beat!
I love the crunch and sweet chocolate too. Just don't eat too many at once!

Old 05-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #7468
Dan

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii

Don't tell my boss. I left work a little early today. The weather outside lately has been beautiful. Mid-seventies, blue sky, sunny. What a great time for a motorcycle ride. Just an hour or so but so nice.

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #7469
Dan

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii

What's up brother Stauff!

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 AM   #7470
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
El Paso, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
What's up brother Stauff!
Not much Dan. Work has been slow for a couple weeks, so I've been bumming around.

The weather is nice here right now too, but it's starting to get hot. Once it hits 100 degrees around here people don't come out of their homes. We're at the mid 90's now. I imagine by next week we'll start hitting 100. I need to get the second evap cooler on my roof running before that happens.

How have you been my friend? Have you brewed lately?