I like this time at night on HBT - Page 739 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I like this time at night on HBT

Old 05-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #7381
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Liked 177 Times on 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Sure, but that wouldn't really help if the bottles get knocked over. I figure that since I'm going to shove a cork into the bottle, I won't introduce anything new by sitting one on the top of the bottle.

Having the bottles unsealed during pasteurization isn't really a problem. The liquid inside is so hot that it is going to kill anything that drops into it anyway. It's only afterward while they are cooling that having it open is a potential issue.

I pasteurize to 160f for 10 minutes. That's high enough to kill pretty much any nasty that could be in my wine, and cool enough that I shouldn't lose a huge amount of alcohol doing it.
Something like this might help?

Sleepycat Brewery

People Like This 
Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 AM   #7382
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Liked 1046 Times on 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
Something like this might help?
Not a bad idea. I'd also thought of seeing if I could get a wire frame wine rack that would fit in my pot.

I'll have to think a bit on the mason jar ring thing. The rings aren't big enough to go around the middle of the bottles, but maybe holding them by the necks would be enough... hmm...

Old 05-27-2013, 04:11 AM   #7383
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado

Just tasted some coffee wine I made last September. It was moderately horrible when I bottled it. It's very good now. Hmm, I'll put coffee wine on the list of occasional brews. Not something I'll be drinking everyday, but it's nice once in a while.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #7384
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Laguna Niguel, CA
Liked 1054 Times on 732 Posts

Quote:
Just tasted some coffee wine I made last September. It was moderately horrible when I bottled it. It's very good now. Hmm, I'll put coffee wine on the list of occasional brews. Not something I'll be drinking everyday, but it's nice once in a while.
What is coffee wine?

Dan Likes This 
Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #7385
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatBrewer View Post
What is coffee wine?
Coffee, sugar, nutrients, and yeast pretty much.

I made a 2 quartish batch of the stuff as an experiment. I brewed 8 cups of coffee with 6 tbs of ground coffee. Fairly good dunkin donuts medium roast. Added sugar to 1.103. Then 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient, 1 1/2 tsp ground coffee, and 4 grams of distillers yeast. It fermented clear down to 0.998. It was taken off the coffee solids, back sweetened, and had a couple tsps of vanilla extract added about 10 days after pitch. It was already at FG.

As I understand it, you do have to be fairly careful with coffee solids in the presence of alcohol. They have a tendency to over extract and end up really bitter.

People Like This 
Old 05-27-2013, 04:51 AM   #7386
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Laguna Niguel, CA
Liked 1054 Times on 732 Posts

Quote:
Coffee, sugar, nutrients, and yeast pretty much.

I made a 2 quartish batch of the stuff as an experiment. I brewed 8 cups of coffee with 6 tbs of ground coffee. Fairly good dunkin donuts medium roast. Added sugar to 1.103. Then 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient, 1 1/2 tsp ground coffee, and 4 grams of distillers yeast. It fermented clear down to 0.998. It was taken off the coffee solids, back sweetened, and had a couple tsps of vanilla extract added about 10 days after pitch. It was already at FG.

As I understand it, you do have to be fairly careful with coffee solids in the presence of alcohol. They have a tendency to over extract and end up really bitter.
Wow, 1.103 to .998. Caffeine and lots of booze. May have to make that.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #7387
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatBrewer View Post
Wow, 1.103 to .998. Caffeine and lots of booze. May have to make that.
It's interesting, but I usually drink at night so the caffeine part puts it off limits for me most of the time... That reminds me, I can have some kola nut ginger cider I made.

Dan Likes This 
Old 05-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #7388
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado

I'm now drinking the kola nut ginger cider..... Why did I make this again? It isn't any g..... oh that's right. Now feeling the ginger. I made it for winter drinking. It's nice and warming with a good pick me up in the caffeine. Perfect for those depressing winter days.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #7389
Dan

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2204 Times on 1381 Posts

Not sure how many John Wayne fans out there. I'm watching "True Grit" right now. Not with John Wayne. The other one, newer one, Warren Beaty. No, that's not right.

Jeff Bridges! I think he does a superb job playing Rooster Cogburn.
A performance as good as the original, indeed!

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 05-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #7390
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Not sure how many John Wayne fans out there. I'm watching "True Grit" right now. Not with John Wayne. The other one, newer one, Warren Beaty. No, that's not right.

Jeff Bridges! I think he does a superb job playing Rooster Cogburn.
A performance as good as the original, indeed!
I agree. I like the new one better then the old one. The ending is better too.