I like this time at night on HBT - Page 731 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I like this time at night on HBT

Old 05-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #7301
sumone
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Dan I honestly think this world is bs. The professions that help ppl are so under paid and disrespected its pathetic.

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 05-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #7302
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Beaverton, OR
Liked 295 Times on 209 Posts

Seems so hard to celebrate Memorial Day weekend. Honestly before last year it was a celebration of the coming of summer. Then a year ago I lost a family member, an outstanding marine, and someone I looked up to. Shot in the back by the people he went to help. Sorry for the ramble. Thanks to those who gave their lives for us to live in relative safety and freedom.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #7303
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2011
New Port Richey, Florida
Liked 506 Times on 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Seems so hard to celebrate Memorial Day weekend. Honestly before last year it was a celebration of the coming of summer. Then a year ago I lost a family member, an outstanding marine, and someone I looked up to. Shot in the back by the people he went to help. Sorry for the ramble. Thanks to those who gave their lives for us to live in relative safety and freedom.
It's Memorial Day. A day set aside to honor/remember those who have gone before and given EVERTHING to protect the values/ideas that most in this country hold dear. The parades give veterans a chance to walk proud and live for friends and comrades in arms who could not. The only thing that should be celebrated is the freedom this loss has provided.

My deepest sympathy for your families loss I shall offer a prayer,shed tears, and raise a glass for yet another fallen but not forgotten Hero.

People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #7304
Dan

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2180 Times on 1365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post

I'm sorry for your loss, truly. Your family member was a MARINE, and gave his life for us, so we could live freely, without terrorism. This weekend, celebrate his life! More than ever. The loss of loved ones is not easy, especially our young ones. If it helps at all, know that your family member did not die in vain. His life made a difference. He made the ultimate sacrifice for us doing something he believed in! Time to celebrate his life!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #7305
Dan

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumone View Post
Dan I honestly think this world is bs. The professions that help ppl are so under paid and disrespected its pathetic.
There are people in this world who take and those that give. Honestly I suppose most all of us are a combination of the two. Those that give more than take by virtue of their proffesion and are not well compensated, they are good souls, and probably do it out of goodness, not for the money. But I agree they should be paid well for their dedication and caring.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #7306
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Liked 1048 Times on 641 Posts

Bottlebomber, Dan... Thanks for sympathizing with me and my first world complaints and drunken ramblings. The truth is that the larger majority of my clients are very appreciative, and they treat my employees and myself very respectably. Every once in a while we get one that doesn't. I guess that was stuck in my head last night. I obviously love my job, or I wouldn't have stuck with it for 24 years. Also, I do tend to believe that the poor and meek shall inherit the earth, so I'm ok with not being rich.

Vegan, it's good to see you here in this thread. I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you can find the ability to celebrate the life and achievements of your fallen family member this weekend.

Cheers friends!

Dan Likes This 
Old 05-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #7307
Punity
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2012
Cosi, Warshington
Liked 369 Times on 308 Posts

Gonna use this weekend to remember and celebrate the lives of the members of 2/7 we lost five years ago. Wow its been that long and it amazes me seems like its still last year I was over there.

People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #7308
Dan

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii

I used to have a stereo that took up a lot of space.. He!!. Stereo stands were big back then. It had had a bunch of big gigantic speakers. The bigger the better!

Must have spent around five grand for everything. I was young and had the money. Plus at the time was stationed in Yokosuka, Japan. On the Navy base there was a huge electronics store known as Warehouse A3. Keep in mind, this was in the 80s. CD's hadn't even become popular yet. Had a Teac Reel to Reel, Nakamichi Dragon Cassette recorder/player (1,000 buck machine) Bose 901 Speakers, I forget the name of the turn table but it was also high dollar. Tuner, amp, and preamp all individual units. Forget the power of the amp but pretty sure it was around 200 watts and clean.

My system looked something like this

and this

Fast forward a few decades.. Now, this is my Hi-Fi Stereo in all of it's glory.

The only thing that stayed the same is Bose speakers. Much smaller than the ones I had before. Crapy pic. The cell phone is not the one I play music on, just put an old one in the picture because I was using my iPhone to take the picture.. I'm spoiled, spoiled and spoiled.

People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #7309
Dan

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii

Old 05-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #7310
beaksnbeer

Recipes 

May 2011
New Port Richey, Florida
Liked 506 Times on 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Beaksnbeer, Thank you for the kind words. I think I'm blushing a bit right now. I think it was your post or, maybe the sip of Scotch I just had.. don't know.

Beaks, I think you brought on a rambling...

There are two worlds. Free and NOT Free in my opinion. Not exactly a revelation. What terrifies me is when we as a nation fall so complacent by our easy going life that we forget the sacrifices, devotion and blood spilled by the men and women who had their freedom threatened and fought to give us this very good life that we so easily take for granted.

Parable, maybe? I don't know. But here's something. I am a Navy Chief Petty Officer, yes retired but my underwear is still khaki Every year on a special day new Chiefs are frocked. We all wear our hard hats in honor and rememberance to the "best day in your life" and then pack them neatly away in a box only to bring out again the following year for the next frocking ceremony.

After I became a Chief, I put the hard hat away and wore a Pisscutter which looks something like the next picture but is Khaki!

A wise old Master Chief always wore his hard hat, everyday. He said to me Chief! Are you embarrassed to wear your hard hat? I was like no MasterChief, but the pisscutter is more comfortable. Something as simple as that, and I proudly wore the hard hat daily for years.

Raising a flag once a year, remembering the fallen a few times a year, remembering we are AMERICANS! a few times a year is unsatisfactory.

What also bothers me is when within, our leadership basically apologizes for being American. What man or woman in this country who works, pays taxes, raises a family, is part of a community, is proud of our country; has not served this country well? And is not proud to be an American!!!!!

The crap going on within is more terrifying to me than anything a terrorist foreign or domestic can bring on.

I'm generally an easy going person, or use to be. There are people very much more intelligent out there, let them figure it out. BS! I'm an American and my voice needs to be heard! We as Americans have a voice. Let us not forget who we are! BAM!

Beautiful, just had fil (a navy vet.) read that, he worked in the boiler room on board. His shipmates get together for reunions every year or so.

Thank you, for your service.

Daryl