I like this time at night on HBT - Page 419 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I like this time at night on HBT

Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #4181
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Liked 1047 Times on 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Was it made from "re-used" wine yeast? You might want to re-consider using washed wine yeast. Wine yeast usually gets pretty beat up from the high alcohol content. It's not usually recomended to re-use any yeast (wine or beer yeast) that has been used to ferment anything above 1.065-1.070(ish)... If it even does work after one generation it could throw out some funky flavors. I'm sure some strains might work better than others, but I wouldn't expect much more than 2 generations at most.
Actually, it's distillers yeast. I find it to be pretty tolerant of mishandling, as compared to wine or beer yeasts. I've gotten about the same from champagne yeast too though.

I've done fourth generation batches, but haven't tried to push beyond that. I didn't get any off flavors or aromas. However, I do always add yeast nutrient and energizer to my batches. One thing about distillers yeast, it will go horribly skunky if it runs short on nutrients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
Just sitting on my front porch, talking to the owls, waiting for the sun to come up. They answer me when I hoot at them, but I can't figure out what they are saying? Also got thinking that I probably need to get out more.
Uh, yes.

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 03-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #4182
Cygnus_X1
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts

Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #4183
Cygnus_X1
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts

Brewed and bottled last night.
3 hours with a couple long breaks in there.

Bottling went great.
Forgot to strain my wort into the fermenter though.
It will probably be OK though.
It was a kit with LME and DME plus Cascade.
No grains.

bobbilyn, call it the Black Knight, from the Holy Grail.
You cannot kill it!

http://youtu.be/2eMkth8FWno

Subsailor Likes This 
Old 03-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #4184
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

Oh man I was in heaven yesterday. I visited the Idaho Brewing Company and got a tour of his brewery. Guy has nine or ten 20 barrel capacity fermenters.

Yup that was very cool

People Like This 
Old 03-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #4185
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Liked 1051 Times on 643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Actually, it's distillers yeast. I find it to be pretty tolerant of mishandling, as compared to wine or beer yeasts. I've gotten about the same from champagne yeast too though.

I've done fourth generation batches, but haven't tried to push beyond that. I didn't get any off flavors or aromas. However, I do always add yeast nutrient and energizer to my batches. One thing about distillers yeast, it will go horribly skunky if it runs short on nutrients.
Cool! I've always been interested in distiller's yeast. Does it have a flavor profile, or is it really clean?

Old 03-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #4186
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Liked 1047 Times on 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Cool! I've always been interested in distiller's yeast. Does it have a flavor profile, or is it really clean?
It is very slightly fruity. The lower the temps, the less fruit though. Around 85+ it's very fruity, but also starts producing more fusels then I would like.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #4187
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
Oh man I was in heaven yesterday. I visited the Idaho Brewing Company and got a tour of his brewery. Guy has nine or ten 20 barrel capacity fermenters.

Yup that was very cool
I really need to get out and do something fun like that.

Cygnus, you don't have to strain, esp. if there are no grains. And I think I will change his name to Black Knight of the Holy Grail. I think the capper is at least 50-60 years old. I know I can get it working like a champ.

I realized it's March and this month marks one year since hubby was diagnosed with cancer. He's still got 5 1/2 months left on this round of chemo, and another surgery they are postponing until after the chemo. A long road. Also marks one year since I really became eccentric. Was already starting to lose it a little after both kids left home. Then hubby got sick and was in the hospital most of the time. That's when my eccentricities really started to show their true colors. Always been described as eccentric, since I was a child. But now, I'm that weird lady who lives in the woods. I find it odd that so many people around town seem to know who I am, but I don't have a clue who they are.

Well, time to go play in my craft room. I might work on the mural. Trying to make the room look like I'm in a fancy fish bowl. Aqua blue walls and I'm painting fish and bubbles on them and foliage and rocks at the bottom. Maybe I will paint the ceiling to look like the bottom of an old sinking pirate ship. Should be nice.

People Like This 
Old 03-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #4188
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Liked 177 Times on 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
But now, I'm that weird lady who lives in the woods. I find it odd that so many people around town seem to know who I am, but I don't have a clue who they are.
I suspect that they are just "I like this time at night on HBT" lurkers.

We don't think you are weird. You haven't started hooting at humans yet, have you?

Sleepycat Brewery

Subsailor Likes This 
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #4189
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Liked 177 Times on 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post

Yup that was very cool
I love visiting breweries. Some people travel around the country to visit baseball parks, I would like to do the same with breweries.

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #4190
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

I tell you it was cool checking out the brewery. It is a one guy operation and all they do is keg. But man all the stainless and every thing.

Not to mention it was not a tour like a real tour. One of my buddies knows the guy and he talked to us and showed us around just for the heck of it. And then we had a pint of every beer he brews. Man I was rolling drunk by the end of it