I like this time at night on HBT - Page 415 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I like this time at night on HBT

Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #4141
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

A long time ago say 15 years or so my ex's grandma decided that it was time that they gave away a old violin that was in pieces and since I was a cabinet maker they gave it to me.

It turns out it was made in 1760 or something in a shop by the name of a guy called Stradivarius. I did some research found out who he was and thought Yay I am going to retire now. But it turns out while it is worth some money the expensive ones were built by Strad himself and the ones built in his shop are not so much. Turns out in order to get it restored would cost as much as the violin was worth but I did it anyway.

When the fine lady who gave me the violin turned 100 I wanted to have someone play it for her at her birthday party. Well as a kid I played a little with a group of folks called old time fiddlers and it turns out the national champion fiddle player did not live but a couple miles from me. I talked to her and she graciously agreed to play the fiddle at the birthday party.

Anyway I now got a old as dirt fiddle with a ton of history that my kid does not want to learn how to play. Aint life grand

Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #4142
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
That's what I do too. I can't have chickens here due to HOA rules. I'd really like to though.
When I was a kid my dad was the original prepper. We lived off everything that we produced which while good had its draw backs like chickens. Dad bought 100 eggs and we raised those chickens to the point of butchering them. THe stage with the eggs was fine but dang man plucking 20 chickens in one day just sucked and then doing it for 5 days in a row really sucked.

I have never owned a chicken since and still consider them foul meat

Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #4143
Obliviousbrew

Recipes 

Feb 2012
Benidorm, Alicante/Spain
Liked 230 Times on 161 Posts

Not nigth time here or there, but having a great time and buzz... after work today -I was away for a meeting- I joining the ACCE crew (spanish homebrewers asocciattio for two days of homebrew beer, contest, and conferences. I doubt thatīs going to be very litttle of me left after 48hs like this. See ya all guys have a great time. Iīll have a beer (or a dozen) for you guys/gals.

People Like This 
Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #4144
mcbaumannerb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2012
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Liked 6139 Times on 3533 Posts

Have fun and enjoy!

Facebook: BEEr

Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #4145
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

I need to go back and catch up on posts and music, but quick question. I transferred a 5 gallon batch after 11 days, washed the yeast in it's own slurry I guess, kept moving it around, leaving the trub behind, and ended up with 1.5 quarts of really good looking thick and bubbly yeast. This is plenty for a new 5 gallon batch or is it too much? Or is my question impossible to answer?

Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #4146
snaps10
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Visalia, CA
Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts

Use 1/4-1/3 of it if its a fresh cake and you'll be good to go.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #4147
Cygnus_X1
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts

Here come the yeast cell counters...I don't see how they do it without losing count.
I give up after a couple of million.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #4148
TNGabe
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
I need to go back and catch up on posts and music, but quick question. I transferred a 5 gallon batch after 11 days, washed the yeast in it's own slurry I guess, kept moving it around, leaving the trub behind, and ended up with 1.5 quarts of really good looking thick and bubbly yeast. This is plenty for a new 5 gallon batch or is it too much? Or is my question impossible to answer?
It's proabably too much for a standard grav batch. MrMalty.com has a yeast calculator that will help you figure out how much to pitch.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #4149
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps10 View Post
Use 1/4-1/3 of it if its a fresh cake and you'll be got to go.
It was fresh but I already dumped in half before asking the question. Also added more hops to this batch and filled with extra gallon of water to make 6.25 gallons in a 7.9 gallon bucket. Last one was too strong, so made those adjustments. Too much yeast?

Added: Thanks, I think I got it worked out, sort of. I think half of the batch was more than enough.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #4150
Reelale
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Liked 1374 Times on 1332 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
It was fresh but I already dumped in half before asking the question. Also added more hops to this batch and filled with extra gallon of water to make 6.25 gallons in a 7.9 gallon bucket. Last one was too strong, so made those adjustments. Too much yeast?

Added: Thanks, I think I got it worked out, sort of. I think half of the batch was more than enough.

I never really understood the science behind overpitching. I understand underpitching fine. That MrMalty site is pretty good. I think in your case choose a slurry. I followed it once, and the beer came out fine.