I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why but I when I listen to instrumental music I prefer somber pieces. The artwork in this video is also a plus.

I really like this opening scene from them movie Melancholia - a bit of haunting classical with some powerful / odd visuals. I also loved the movie, but I would only recommend it with a warning that it slow and odd as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seriously getting to use to being unemployed. I worked hard for thirty plus years but I'm too young and not rich enough to be forever unemployed. Guess I'll enjoy this while it lasts but hopefully that won't be much longer or I'll truly go nuts.

I'm seriously getting to use to being unemployed. I worked hard for thirty plus years but I'm too young and not rich enough to be forever unemployed. Guess I'll enjoy this while it lasts but hopefully that won't be much longer or I'll truly go nuts.

You need a Hobby...Uhhh ohh wait. Nevermind:cross:

Cheers
Jay

Evening All. Been a Hot dry day in the southern desert. 105\110 degrees depending on what part of town. Can truly say dry heat, 4% RH. Drink lots of water, stay in the shade, no shorts on the vinyl seats, burn the back of ur thighs! Summer is here.

Dan, find a bunch of good books. My choice Stephen King . Some are long, he writes very descriptive. Most are good, in my opinion. The Stand my fav. Or check out some of the online schools. Kahn University is good for brushing up on old school stuff. Ur day will come, patience my good man. Hows the grandkid and parents doin?

Evening All. Been a Hot dry day in the southern desert. 105\110 degrees depending on what part of town. Can truly say dry heat, 4% RH. Drink lots of water, stay in the shade, no shorts on the vinyl seats, burn the back of ur thighs! Summer is here.

See post 14607..:mug:

Cheers
Jay

Gentlemen, looks like we are all doing well with the turn of the seasons! (I hope all of our dogs stay healthy and have speedy recoveries!)

I'm currently building myself a fermentation chamber because I can't brew due to the fact I'm moving in 20 days... Life's good! I've just been reading your posts with not much to chime in with, but no complaints. It's always a good time here.

Question for everyone: Does anyone have an idea for what to do with a cooler my mother gave me (attached) ? Currently I'm doing extract but plan on moving to AG in the near future (aka I was hoping to use this for brewing!). Any idea would be appreciated!!

Cheers mates!

cooler.jpg

Gentlemen, looks like we are all doing well with the turn of the seasons! (I hope all of our dogs stay healthy and have speedy recoveries!)

I'm currently building myself a fermentation chamber because I can't brew due to the fact I'm moving in 20 days... Life's good! I've just been reading your posts with not much to chime in with, but no complaints. It's always a good time here.

Question for everyone: Does anyone have an idea for what to do with a cooler my mother gave me (attached) ? Currently I'm doing extract but plan on moving to AG in the near future (aka I was hoping to use this for brewing!). Any idea would be appreciated!!

Cheers mates!

Looks like a huge fermentor. Drill a hole in the top and put an airlock on it. Temp controlled. Very sweet.

Yeah, I don't think that those are good for much other than filling with ice and beer. They don't have any refrigeration. I guess it might make a decent swamp cooler or a portable kegerator?

Love the Primus. Fish on! If I get the boat motor running for Sunday.

Cheers mates!

Is that a refrigerated unit or an ice chest? If the latter, I'd fill it full of ice and Coke...well probably beer;)

I tilled my garden tonight. I will be late planting but I will still give it a go. I sent a soil sample off to Ward Labs. I'll post the results for any of you gardeners. Only cost $15 for the test. I really want to make a planter box for the deck too. I just cant find the time. We have a huge pile of 16 foot red cedar slabs for the free material. I wanted to make about a 14 foot planter for herbs and such right off the back deck...how convient would that be right?

Long day again tomorrow. Grocery store re-wiring currently. I have never seen so many cooler/freezer units. I heard to get the place back in shape (built in 1997) and stock it will cost a million $. Glad I will get a little piece of that;)

Had my few beers plus this last one. Off to bed. Cheers.

Cheers mates!

Sadly won't do too much good :(

Really just a poor cooler with a drain at the bottom (i would guess)

I used to work at a liq and we would sell singles of miller lite out of this for 97c and this cute little old lady would come in every single day and buy one.

Def doesn't help you sorry

Sent from myPhone

True. Can be a fun party piece if you throw a backyard BBQ for bottles or the improvised keg cooler. Otherwise it could make a decent swamp cooler or maybe with a long section of hose and too much ice, a ridiculously overdone, non cist effective post boil chiller.

Nice gift ! I'm not to imaginative so ice down drink holder sounds great

Ischiavo, good luck with your garden bed. I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of the free cedar planks you have available. I think you'll really enjoy having a fresh herb garden. It's so cool to walk to the back patio and snip some fresh herbs !

This Hawaii living is pretty sweet but comes with a few bugs - literally. Last night we came home and I almost stepped on a centipede inside the house at the bottom of the stairs. Those things give me the willies! Makes me want to wear boots everywhere. :)

We'll, happy hump day everybody!

Ps. Hefe, good idea on books. My wife and I were talking last night about me having something better to do than watch to much TV. I think I might brush up on math skills. I figure that might keep my mind working better than Netflix. :)

You could wet a line every now and then Dan. Or take up scuba diving. Find a friend with a boat. Whatever you do don't take a charter to go fishing. They stick it to the haoles and don't let you keep much of the fish.

You could wet a line every now and then Dan. Or take up scuba diving. Find a friend with a boat. Whatever you do don't take a charter to go fishing. They stick it to the haoles and don't let you keep much of the fish.

That's not a bad idea at all. I have a retired brother-in-law with a boat, he's quite the fisherman. I might have to ask if I can go with him sometime.

There is a Philippine market fairly close by. Tons of fresh veggies and fresh fish. The moment you walk in the smell of fish hits you smack in the face, very fresh fish though. Some of them still alive. Last time we were there I watched a young gal clean a yellow tail. She was pro. I don't know how much the fish weighed but it was pretty big, she finished cleaning and cutting it within a minute or two. Man it looked good!

That's not a bad idea at all. I have a retired brother-in-law with a boat, he's quite the fisherman. I might have to ask if I can go with him sometime.

Do it, right now! Life's short, and he's probably just waiting for someone to help scrape the barnacles off the hull anyway (I got suckered into that once on a 40' sailboat).

There is a Philippine market fairly close by. Tons of fresh veggies and fresh fish. The moment you walk in the smell of fish hits you smack in the face, very fresh fish though. Some of them still alive. Last time we were there I watched a young gal clean a yellow tail. She was pro. I don't know how much the fish weighed but it was pretty big, she finished cleaning and cutting it within a minute or two. Man it looked good!

I was stationed on Oahu from 77 to 81. I did a lot of fishing, peackcock bass on the the crystal clear freshwater interior lakes, saltwater from boats and the reefs. Good times and good eating.

Quick story: My best friend and I went on the reef out near Kanehoe. Gilbert had done this growing up in Guam and warned me to watch the water level under me while on the reef for any big waves that come in. What that means is a big wave will draw more water away from the shore before it crashes. We both hooked decent fish and didn't pay attention. I got mine in close and happened to notice that we were missing about 4ft of water below us and looked up just in time to get knocked a$$ or tea kettle by a big wave. Rolled me all over the coral and rocks. When I got clear, I started looking for Gilbert, who was much smaller than me and couldn't find him. About that time, I saw one of his flip flops go floating by. I started worrying about what I was going to have to tell his wife and yelled his name a couple of times. I hear a groan coming coming from a crevice in the coral near me and found Gilbert all twistd up in there. Helped him out and, other than some bumps and a lot of scrapes, he was Ok. Then he got a big grin and holding up his catch, says "At least I didn't lose my fish!" I had lost mine.
:mug:

I was stationed on Oahu from 77 to 81. I did a lot of fishing, peackcock bass on the the crystal clear freshwater interior lakes, saltwater from boats and the reefs. Good times and good eating.

Quick story: My best friend and I went on the reef out near Kanehoe. Gilbert had done this growing up in Guam and warned me to watch the water level under me while on the reef for any big waves that come in. What that means is a big wave will draw more water away from the shore before it crashes. We both hooked decent fish and didn't pay attention. I got mine in close and happened to notice that we were missing about 4ft of water below us and looked up just in time to get knocked a$$ or tea kettle by a big wave. Rolled me all over the coral and rocks. When I got clear, I started looking for Gilbert, who was much smaller than me and couldn't find him. About that time, I saw one of his flip flops go floating by. I started worrying about what I was going to have to tell his wife and yelled his name a couple of times. I hear a groan coming coming from a crevice in the coral near me and found Gilbert all twistd up in there. Helped him out and, other than some bumps and a lot of scrapes, he was Ok. Then he got a big grin and holding up his catch, says "At least I didn't lose my fish!" I had lost mine.
:mug:

Cant beat a good fish(ing) story.

I think I'm nuttier than usual. To save some money I started giving my dog his haircut. He's a little dog and when his hair gets long it's thin and scraggly ( kind of like mine these days) so I keep his hair short, I keep mine short too.

I Took him to a popular dog groomer in the mainland, it was a little pricy but I was working so it was manageable.

I'm not working now and his haircut is twice the price as it was in California so I bought some electric clippers and cut his hair myself. Turned out pretty well. First cut a bit patchy but they got better over the weeks

Yesterday I found the electric clippers my wife uses to trim her dog 's butt area. Man with a capital M , those clippers are powerful ! Much better than the ones I've been using for my dog.

So I used my wife's crazy powerful clippers for my dog's haircut yesterday.

His new haircut is very, very, short and a bit patchy. After I finished I thought wow that was a disaster but I know his mind so I said. Wow Dasher! You look great ! You will be nice and cool. Looking good pup!

Guess what ? He bought it and is now prancing around happily with his new very short messed up haircut. :)

A few weeks he'll look fine and I'll be more careful cutting his fur , but for now he just feels happy, probably because he feels less heat and is cool.

Edit. Multiple editing to make this somewhat readable. :)

cool

Dan, my last dog was a long haired mutt I rescued and would develop matts behind her ears and as she was a bit nippy initially would not let me trim her. One night I must have gained her trust( or she was hot) she allowed me to cut out the matts and me having imbibed a bit decided why should I stop?
I proceded to cut her entire coat with scissors, giggling the entire time, you want to see a bad cut?I don't think you could do a worst job! I did have a couple of people inquire, I just laughed, she was happy and cool, I bought clippers shortly after and made her much more presentable although I still laugh to my self when I think about it.

Dan, my last dog was a long haired mutt I rescued and would develop matts behind her ears and as she was a bit nippy initially would not let me trim her. One night I must have gained her trust( or she was hot) she allowed me to cut out the matts and me having imbibed a bit decided why should I stop?

I proceded to cut her entire coat with scissors, giggling the entire time, you want to see a bad cut?I don't think you could do a worst job! I did have a couple of people inquire, I just laughed, she was happy and cool, I bought clippers shortly after and made her much more presentable although I still laugh to my self when I think about it.

That's a great story! I would have never tried cutting my dogs hair before the move to Hawaii and job hunt. Pretty sure after some time and experience the cuts will get better.

Cheers my friend and thank you for sharing your experience ! :)

HBT looks different on my phone.
1365970398698.gif

I use the browser. I was used to the way it worked. Now I can't zoom in anymore and the menu bar different. Did the format change? I haven't been on a PC for a while.

That's a great story! I would have never tried cutting my dogs hair before the move to Hawaii and job hunt. Pretty sure after some time and experience the cuts will get better.

Cheers my friend and thank you for sharing your experience ! :)

This happend after my divorce, She was actually a dog that the ex brought home against my desire as we already had another dog and then left her and a lot of bills with me, I tried to give her away for a long time as she was nasty to my other dog but once the first dog went to meet his maker we became close buddies, funny how things work out sometimes.

Back