I like this time at night on HBT - Page 319 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I like this time at night on HBT

Old 02-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #3181
Cygnus_X1
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts

My hours are odd because I get up insanely early.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #3182
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus_X1 View Post
Oh...OK.
Guess I'm still a little peeved I couldn't get a siphon going no matter what I tried.

Hope the autosiphon at the LBHS will be OK, that's what I'll get.
See that is why you need to find what works for you and run with it. Barney is right. Is what I do right as well....yes it is at least for me. Lots of people do not secondary and lots of folks like me do secondary. If you are racking into a secondary using the spigot is fine since not much trub will be pulled in.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #3183
barneygumble
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Pittsfield, MA
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I secondary for dry hopping, or other flavor additions like oak or cacao chips. I also rack every batch into a carboy, condition at fermentation temps off of the cake for a few days then cold crash it for a few before kegging.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #3184
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho

The system that works for me the best is use the spigot from the primary to a better bottle for secondary then siphon into a bottling tote after a week or two. I get very little trub doing this and it lets me harvest the yeast sooner or I would not even secondary.

I would say about brewing that there are definite things you should not do that will pretty much ruin a beer. But then I would also say there are many good ways to make a great beer and none are better for the most part.

Brewing should be fun and part of making it fun is finding ways to make the hard bits easier. My bottling set up would not work for many people but because I got a bum back it works great for me. It takes me longer but I can get it done with out having to kill myself.

Subsailor Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #3185
barneygumble
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Pittsfield, MA
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
The system that works for me the best is use the spigot from the primary to a better bottle for secondary then siphon into a bottling tote after a week or two. I get very little trub doing this and it lets me harvest the yeast sooner or I would not even secondary.

I would say about brewing that there are definite things you should not do that will pretty much ruin a beer. But then I would also say there are many good ways to make a great beer and none are better for the most part.

Brewing should be fun and part of making it fun is finding ways to make the hard bits easier. My bottling set up would not work for many people but because I got a bum back it works great for me. It takes me longer but I can get it done with out having to kill myself.
Well, carrying over trub wont kill a beer in secondary, wont really affect flavor at all much. More of a clarity thing. As long as you use a hose on your spigot and dont splash the beer during transfer.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #3186
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho

Oh I agree for sure. LOL if people want to see a convoluted brew day they should ought to see me brew. Having a bum back makes up for some really weird brewing

Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #3187
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus_X1 View Post
Oh...OK.
Guess I'm still a little peeved I couldn't get a siphon going no matter what I tried.

Hope the autosiphon at the LBHS will be OK, that's what I'll get.
See all the different opinions? Pick it up and just dump it in, when the siphon pisses you off. Pour into your mr. beer kegs and bottle from there. Just pour slowly as you can to prevent air bubbles. If air bubbles occur, just let them die down, loosely cover any device with sanitized tin foil or something else, if it takes more than 10 or 20 minutes for air bubbles to go away. Oxygenation of beer takes times and for most beginners, and beginner kits, not enough time to make it skunky. Beginners almost always rush things. Or they follow the instructions on how much time it takes. Always at least double the amount of time the kits tell you.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:12 AM   #3188
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

/\/\ bad advice /\/\ Don't really just pour it, but I have done it when siphon pissed me off and worked out fine.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #3189
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 855 Times on 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
Kids are gone. All growed up. And I do like going to functions on weekends. But I've been doing this all my adult life. It is stable and pays the bills. What do you do? Oh and we call "swings" what I do. I work three second and two third shifts a week. A swing shift.
We call the days off swings, not the shift. I know some jobs call the midnight shift "the swing shift".

I'm a sergeant in the NYPD. I did midnights for about 6 years as a cop mixed in with some horrible time on day tours. Thankfully I got a midnight slot when I got promoted.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #3190
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Liked 1046 Times on 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Exactly what it was. I cheated.
Not really. Commercially made cheddar has coloring in it. The aging doesn't impart that much color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
Once in a while I have a chorizo and nutella sandwich so... I think IŽll like that , I mean I like peanut butter and LOVE bacon why not to have them both in a sandwich then?
This sounds bizarrely delicious. I think I will have to try this next time I've got some chorizo.

Quote:
Troll was my first thought. Where's Revvy, the HBT's historian. He'd point out the epic Drunken Ramble.. many have tried, few succeed.

Something about a couch and front porch.
Wait, I can put a coach on my front porch????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Had to figure that was coming eventually. I must admit, I very rarely eat bacon. I like it and all, but I find good ribs to be MUCH better than bacon.
How about bacon cut into the shape of ribs?
Quote:
That's great! Although I live in dairy land (lovely smell) I don't have access to raw milk. I was just reading yesterday that sheep's milk is high in protein and vitamins and produces two and a half times more cheese than cow's or goat's milk. It also takes less rennet, less salt, the curds can be cut larger and less pressure is used.

Sounds like you are in a win-win situation!
It would be very interesting to know what this tastes like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
Selling junk is a lot of work. Lots of digging around, wrestling with car parts, trying to find tractor parts... We have 25+ old broken down cars and trucks and massive amounts of other things. 2 campers. Some neat looking metal lockers, like old shop lockers with the top shelf and place to hang stuff. Used to be painted red and you can see into them, you know not solid metal, like grid pattern whatever you call it. Going to put one in my shed because I just like the rustic way it looks. Just so much stuff it's overwhelming, 3 generations of hoarders attributed to the collection. Need to call American Pickers, they would be impressed, rusty stuff as far as the eye can see. Huge barn packed full then 1-2 acres behind it with stuff everywhere. Coolers alone, at least 30, in various shapes and sizes. Old, good quality ones. Might be able to put those in the classified section here.

One word... overwhelming... glad hubby agreed to start selling some stuff. We got a bunch of pictures today but my nephew has the memory card thing with all the pics on it. He's going to start putting some stuff on craigslist.

Long day....
While I was living in my last apartment I threw away, or donated, half of my possessions. I'm not a hoarder or anything, but I did have things I had no expectation of ever needing again. I found it liberating. Like everything I got rid of was weight off my shoulders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
Kids are gone. All growed up. And I do like going to functions on weekends. But I've been doing this all my adult life. It is stable and pays the bills. What do you do? Oh and we call "swings" what I do. I work three second and two third shifts a week. A swing shift.
Calling yourself a swings around here would mean something rather different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
/\/\ bad advice /\/\ Don't really just pour it, but I have done it when siphon pissed me off and worked out fine.
I decant from primary into my bottling bucket all the time. I mean this literally. I pick up the fermentor and pour brew into the bottling bucket until I start getting trub. It does stir things up, but a couple days in the bottling bucket usually takes care of that.

Subsailor Likes This