I like this time at night on HBT - Page 307 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I like this time at night on HBT

Old 02-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #3061
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

How're you liking your 10 inches of snow Airborne?

Old 02-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #3062
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

Well I am feeling lazy today. I should rack my beer to open a fermenter up and reset my corona for beer instead of bread flour. By the way do not ever think you can mill 4 pounds of wheat by hand on a corona mill. Just trust me it is better to use a regular flour mill.

I should brew as well today using my new no sparge mash tun but all I can do is sit here drinking coffee

Old 02-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #3063
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 854 Times on 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
How're you liking your 10 inches of snow Airborne?
Not even close here. I'd say 6 at the most, and that's pushing it. I finished 2 of my cars in about 20 minutes and did my driveway in like 5. Joke!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #3064
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
Well I am feeling lazy today. I should rack my beer to open a fermenter up and reset my corona for beer instead of bread flour. By the way do not ever think you can mill 4 pounds of wheat by hand on a corona mill. Just trust me it is better to use a regular flour mill.

I should brew as well today using my new no sparge mash tun but all I can do is sit here drinking coffee
I'm getting ready to rack now. I like the plastic fermenter buckets but do not like not being able to see inside. I go by appearance, taste to know when to bottle since I don't do readings, with the buckets I'm at a loss. Plus get one freed up for when my new supplies arrive. Getting my brew area outside cleaned up too. Nice relaxing day.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #3065
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
I'm getting ready to rack now. I like the plastic fermenter buckets but do not like not being able to see inside. I go by appearance, taste to know when to bottle since I don't do readings, with the buckets I'm at a loss. Plus get one freed up for when my new supplies arrive. Getting my brew area outside cleaned up too. Nice relaxing day.
I got a empty fermenter now and I am going to brew tonight. I must be a simple man because I am so excited to do a no sparge brew. All that work getting the sparge water ready really took time away from drinking while brewing. Heck I figure I can get 2 more beers down just by not sparging

Old 02-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #3066
barneygumble
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Pittsfield, MA
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

This is some interesting reading. I work a second/third shift swing. So I am up late. Alot. I try not to let my job keep me up, but after work....

Anyway, haven't posted much since spring on these forums. I take summers off the e-world and go play on my lake, brew little and go play on my lake, and start brewing again late Aug/Labor Day. Plus I hosted the second marraige in 9 months for two daughters in July, so I was kinda busy. Then some shtuff hit the fan this fall. Finally having time again.

This thread is going to be so much fun to post in, as I slip into alcohol induced unconciousness.

Subsailor Likes This 
Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #3067
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
I got a empty fermenter now and I am going to brew tonight. I must be a simple man because I am so excited to do a no sparge brew. All that work getting the sparge water ready really took time away from drinking while brewing. Heck I figure I can get 2 more beers down just by not sparging

I got an empty now too but have to wait til Tuesday for more supplies. That saddens me. Not sure why sparge water is so much work? Just to heat the water to temp? Fill up the pan, put it on the other burner. Then all I do is put the big strainer over the pot with the grain bag in it, pour the hot water evenly over it with a glass measuring device. Am I doing it wrong?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #3068
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
I got an empty now too but have to wait til Tuesday for more supplies. That saddens me. Not sure why sparge water is so much work? Just to heat the water to temp? Fill up the pan, put it on the other burner. Then all I do is put the big strainer over the pot with the grain bag in it, pour the hot water evenly over it with a glass measuring device. Am I doing it wrong?
Nope you are doing it right. I just like the idea of putting all the water in at once letting it sit then opening the valve and letting it rip. Going to be easy peasy for me

Old 02-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #3069
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
Nope you are doing it right. I just like the idea of putting all the water in at once letting it sit then opening the valve and letting it rip. Going to be easy peasy for me
I guess short-cuts/time savers are cumulative. Keep cutting back on time for brew day/bottling day/racking day, etc. Over time with all the tricks you learn, cut back on time quite a bit. But I would have to drink really fast/chug to down 2 in the time it takes to sparge.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #3070
GunnyB
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman

I've read about the No Sparge method. What kind of efficiency does it give you? If there's a loss, do you make adjustments to the grain bill? Jus wonderin