I like this time at night on HBT - Page 289 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I like this time at night on HBT

Old 02-07-2013, 04:19 AM   #2881
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 854 Times on 626 Posts

We weren't that good of friends.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:20 AM   #2882
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten

My wife and I just finished watching Lincoln. AWESOME movie. I decided when I saw the previews that I wouldn't watch that movie in the theater because I really wanted to pay attention to it. Thankfully, my uncle came through with a professional copy.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #2883
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Liked 1041 Times on 781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
No reason to start a new thread just because of my fleeting thoughts. So I'll post here. (I hope that did not come across as disrespectful; not my intention whatsoever. Especially not in this good crowd.)

I opted for a premium membership a few years ago.. Which is is 25 bucks or something. Then I thought about going Lifetime, came close to doing it.

Probably the only reason I didn't at the time was because it seemed like a lot of money to spend when I could be spending that money on things I needed.

Then, much later I started thinking about how cheap it would be to get 20 years of membership for around 6 bucks a year. And then I thought. I love this sight. $25 dollars over the course of a year is pretty cheap and somebody has to keep this place rolling, keep up with the cost of inflation. I thought of TxBrew.

It's his site, possibly that lifetime membership price was good when this place first started but now I'd imagine prices go up, there are upgrades and such. I'm happy, very happy with this site. Okay sometimes there are glitches but that happens. Technology is moving faster than the sunset and I think this site, this place does a nice job keeping the camera focused and following it.

Anyway, I opted out of going with the life time membership. I like this place to much to go cheap.

Just my thoughts. I'm sure I'm wrong in some ways but that's me.
I'd imagine typical active membership is less then 3 years. So $25 a years x 3 years = $75. Lifetime is $125. Therefore, the site would typically intake more money from a member who opts for the lifetime membership, during there active membership, then from one who pays a yearly fee. That would be a "typical" member, so of course there will be exceptions.

Honestly, it just seems like good business to me. Very long time member tend to be very helpful to new members, that helps expand the forum base and grow the paying subscriber base. If a member uses the lifetime membership then they are helping to grow the subscriber base. If they don't, then they have probably paid more with that annual membership they they were ever likely to on an annual basis.

Hat's off TxBrew. Good for business, and good for your subscribers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
We caught 2 alligators last spring and ate them. Since one of them ate my sister's cat, does that mean we indirectly ate her cat? The possum is still living under the house, terrorizing my dog, so I will get back to trapping soon.
If you've ever had Chinese food there is no indirectly about it.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #2884
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Liked 1041 Times on 781 Posts

I'm in a screwed up mood tonight, how about some screwed up music.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #2885
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten

I agree with Leadgolem. I remember last year when Tx talked about possibly getting rid of lifetime memberships (right around when I sprung for mine). At the time, I considered whether I really thought I was going to be active on this forum 5 years from now. I decided that I probably won't be, but that paying that "extra" money was worth what I get out of the forum now.

Now if I am still active 4 years from now, then I suppose I beat the system, but that wasn't really my intention.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #2886
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

How much of my life to spend on HBT is a big question. I use it a lot now, but like Facebook I could easily disappear to never return. If I had a figure for how much time I've spent on here I would probably hurl my phone away in disgust. I want to read more books, the ones that don't glow.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #2887
Dan

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2177 Times on 1363 Posts

Anybody here like spam musabi? Slice of spam and a thick layer of sticky rice wrapped in a ribbon of "seaweed" When I make it usually it is wrapped entirely in kiri.

Spam musabi

Or a bowl of Portuguese bean soup? Broth is made out of smoked hamhocks, some onions a bayleaf or two. I add some stewed tomatoes, carrots, onions and diced potatoes. But that isn't a rule. Portuguese sausage is added towards the end. Something like chorizo but not. Not even sure it is real portuguese sausage but go to any local store in Hawaii and look for Redondos and that's what you need. I've had decent luck in the mainland with smoked sausage.

Or pork lau lua. Smoked pork wrapped in Lau Lua leaves. It's a bit salty but taste pretty good.

My wife, I think made it once with kalua pig and and the lau lau leaves.. or some thing like that. It was pretty good and not as salty. Actually it was very delicious and I didn't drink water all night long afterwards.

You wouldn't believe it but somehow Hawaii picked up on some of the best food across the world. The locals make some killer foods. Both in taste and it will probably kill you if that is all you eat.

Corned beef hash. Corned beef. Spam, luncheon meat out of a big can. I think it was back during WWII, Hawaii's fresh meat supply was cut off. A lot of their meat was canned... Vienna sausage is one delicacy that is well loved by many of the Hawaii locals but one I've never been able to eat. Texture thing with me. Kind of akin to sardines in my mind. Or worse.

There is a nice hotel at the end of Waikiki. I should know the name, it's not deep in the city side. I'd give directions but my N-S-E-W gets totally screwed up when it come to Hawaii. I'll just say it's right across the road from Kapiolani park not far from the Honolul zoo, and within a few blocks walk (in the opposite direction of main downtown Waikiki) of the King Kamehameha statue

I just remembered. It is not the New Oana, the hotel is called the New Otani. The trees on the dining patio are over a hundred years old. And it is beautiful. When I got station back to Hawaii a few years back my wife and I stayed there for a few days. The first night after a long very emotional trip. Leaving our home in California, where we could have stayed but didn't. I bought a bottle of cognact a cigar. We sat on the white beach and listened to the ocean, drank some cognac and depressurised. the next day or two my wifes mom came to the hotel and we had breakfast o on the patttio.

Just sharing a bit. We all have memories. These are some of my better ones.

People Like This 
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #2888
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

The food all looks delicious, not sure on the spam roll though, maybe with some fresh raw salmon instead of the spam. I tried vienna sausage once, just got chills thinking about it. This morning I had corned beef from a can though, mixed with grits. I call it gruel.

Varmintman Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #2889
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
The food all looks delicious, not sure on the spam roll though, maybe with some fresh raw salmon instead of the spam. I tried vienna sausage once, just got chills thinking about it. This morning I had corned beef from a can though, mixed with grits. I call it gruel.
Oh yes and then scramble a egg into it. Heavenly

Breakfast for me this morning is going to be pizza.

Subsailor Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #2890
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

And fried spam cannot be beat.