Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Advice on cleaning hop spider bag

Old 01-05-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
jdub1782
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Advice on cleaning hop spider bag

I built a hop spider over Christmas and used it for the first time today. It worked great, but I have to believe that folks on this forum have devised good methods for cleaning the bag.

at the end of my boil, I removed the hop spider and set it in a bucket. During cleanup I disconnected the bag and emptied the hop material as best I could. I then turned the bag inside out and soaked the bag in a couple gallons of warm water. Currently I have it soaking overnight in a weak PBW solution.

Is there an easier way?

Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I use 5 gallon paint strainer bags from lowes. Cost me 3 bucks for 2 bags. I just tie them off when im done and throw the hops and all away. i have a dog so i dont run any risk of him getting to the hop bag somehow or getting hop particles. So it goes straight in the trashbag with my spent grain

mlmeeks Likes This 
Old 01-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
GoldMiner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just rinse off the bag after dumping the hops.

The bag becomes discolored over time but doesn't seem to effect the hops in future batches.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
jdub1782
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably keep rinsing and cleaning and try to get a few uses out of each bag.

KuntzBrewing - I understand the logic of not spending too much time maintaining a $1.50 item, my problem is that I NEVER spend $3 at Lowes or HD. I'll probably just pick up a new set every once in a while if I am already going there -- but that just adds to the my problem of spending too much there.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1782 View Post
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably keep rinsing and cleaning and try to get a few uses out of each bag.

KuntzBrewing - I understand the logic of not spending too much time maintaining a $1.50 item, my problem is that I NEVER spend $3 at Lowes or HD. I'll probably just pick up a new set every once in a while if I am already going there -- but that just adds to the my problem of spending too much there.
I dump the hop material, rinse well and let air dry.

This works great, takes little time, and I am still using the same bag since 2009, never one issue or bad batch.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 998 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
I built a hop spider over Christmas and used it for the first time today. It worked great, but I have to believe that folks on this forum have devised good methods for cleaning the bag.

at the end of my boil, I removed the hop spider and set it in a bucket. During cleanup I disconnected the bag and emptied the hop material as best I could. I then turned the bag inside out and soaked the bag in a couple gallons of warm water. Currently I have it soaking overnight in a weak PBW solution.

Is there an easier way?
Yes there is. Rinse it off and you're done. It's really not a big deal if it is discolored. Since it gets boiled for a long time each use, it's not like it's going to contaminate anything.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:

This actually makes me reconsider buying bags a lot lol may start the dump and rinse cycle.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Chia
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 30

agree with the rinse and forget method. only time i toss mine in trash is if i forget it drying outside and a bird ****s on it, or if it falls in motor oil from where the Harley marks his territory in the garage!

Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Schumed
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Rinse and forget is good...I've also found that after it drys any hops you didn't get drys up and easily comes out

Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Frodnetso
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Overnight soak in stars an helps with the dis coloring.