Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > Off flavors

Old 01-05-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
JBeuchs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Off flavors

The last couple batches I have brewed have had a very bitter almost medicinal aftertaste on the back of the tongue. I have been doing a lot of reading and getting some mixed messages as to the cause and therefore solution to the issue. Is the problem sanitation, oxidation, water chlorine, etc.??? Help me!!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Welcome, good to have ya. Thermometers jack everything up, make sure your's is on the money. Make sure your yeast is new and use a lot of it. Can you tell me about how you brew? Is their any point rules are broken?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
JBeuchs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling
Welcome, good to have ya. Thermometers jack everything up, make sure your's is on the money. Make sure your yeast is new and use a lot of it. Can you tell me about how you brew? Is their any point rules are broken?
At the moment I brew with extract. I would love to make the plunge into all grain but I'd like to dial in the fermentation process before investing the added time/money. I'm no sure what you mean as far as breaking rules.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 245

For example, most kits give instructions, like steep the bag of grains under 170F for 30min. Or they say to use a carboy buy all you have is a big pot. What I'm not doing a good job of asking is, are you flowing the instructions? or improvising?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
JBeuchs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling
For example, most kits give instructions, like steep the bag of grains under 170F for 30min. Or they say to use a carboy buy all you have is a big pot. What I'm not doing a good job of asking is, are you flowing the instructions? or improvising?
No, for the most part I follow the instructions. I just pulled the dry hop off an IPA I made and tasted a sample. It was spot on. I used distilled water instead of tap so I have to believe that that was my main issue, hopefully anyway.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Chloraphenols from chlorine can cause all kinds of strange off flavors from cloves to medicinal to burnt plastic. Use campden tablets.