Sam Adams New Albion Clone - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sam Adams New Albion Clone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
winvarin
 
winvarin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Edmond, OK
Posts: 1,131
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts



Does anyone know if this has hit the stores yet?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
glockspeed31
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Locust Grove, Georgia
Posts: 114
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


According to my last info I got, comes available in March.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
JLem
 
JLem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Attleboro, MA
Posts: 3,637
Liked 178 Times on 154 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by glockspeed31 View Post
According to my last info I got, comes available in March.
It's in stores now...I picked up a 6er last week (or maybe 2 weeks ago).
__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Mumbly
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Omaha, Ne
Posts: 209
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem

It's in stores now...I picked up a 6er last week (or maybe 2 weeks ago).
Yep, picked up a six pack for brewday last Saturday.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
sundaypapers
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 74
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


I saw it in stores last week and then I reread the newest brew magazine and saw it in there. Anyone make this yet? I'm curious.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
Dr. Francois
 
Dr. Francois's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Okemos, MI, Michigan
Posts: 614
Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts


I bought a sixer...

I like it, but my honest appraisal is it tastes like a 50/50 dillution of Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Definitely Cascade hops...American 2-row with a higher mash temp.

Think SNPA minus crystal malt and flameout additions.

Still, a perfect pizza beer with a great story.
__________________
Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
JLem
 
JLem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Attleboro, MA
Posts: 3,637
Liked 178 Times on 154 Posts


I wasn't a big fan. Perhaps my expectations were too high given the story/history of the beer. But in the end it's a SMASH beer with 2-row and Cascade. Nothing wrong with it. Just not something I would go back to.
__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Spartan1979's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
O'Fallon, MO
Posts: 1,693
Liked 233 Times on 158 Posts


It was okay. But what was the likelihood it tastes much like what was brewed 30 years ago? So what's the point?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Clonefan94
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Clonefan94's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Schaumburg, Illinois
Posts: 1,253
Liked 260 Times on 170 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan1979 View Post
It was okay. But what was the likelihood it tastes much like what was brewed 30 years ago? So what's the point?
With what is available today, it's more of a novelty than anything else. If you look at what was happening to American beer though, 30 years ago, it was a huge leap. I listened to the Basic Brewing Radio podcast where they had Jack on and talking about it. Basically, it's a two row SMASH with Cascade hops. Because cascade was the only hop he could get at the time. My guess is that it's probably pretty close to what was brewed 30 years ago, if nothing else, for the simplicity of the recipe. The yeast would probably be the biggest factor.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Spartan1979's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
O'Fallon, MO
Posts: 1,693
Liked 233 Times on 158 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
With what is available today, it's more of a novelty than anything else. If you look at what was happening to American beer though, 30 years ago, it was a huge leap. I listened to the Basic Brewing Radio podcast where they had Jack on and talking about it. Basically, it's a two row SMASH with Cascade hops. Because cascade was the only hop he could get at the time. My guess is that it's probably pretty close to what was brewed 30 years ago, if nothing else, for the simplicity of the recipe. The yeast would probably be the biggest factor.
I can understand trying to honor New Albion and maybe helping out Jack McAuliffe, but, as you said, yeasts are different, probably different water. Malts are more fully modified, certainly different equipment. IIRC from a video I saw, the recipe (as simple as it is) came just from the memory of Jack McAuliffe. I still think it's unlikely that one is getting a taste of the past.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sam Adams White Clone? Mainebrew Recipes/Ingredients 10 03-04-2012 06:10 AM
Sam Adams clone stlouieblues Recipes/Ingredients 3 12-11-2009 11:00 PM
sam adams clone sneakypete Recipes/Ingredients 4 03-07-2009 06:57 PM
Sam Adams Clone? Yooper Recipes/Ingredients 2 06-13-2006 06:12 AM
Marin Brewing Co. Albion Amber Brewsmith Commercial Brew Discussion 0 04-05-2006 05:51 AM


Forum Jump