Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Cannot get same head from bottles as keg?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
cbehr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Cannot get same head from bottles as keg?

I've brewed 8-10 batches that i've bottled and 3-4 that I've kegged. Bottles are more or less hit/miss with getting a nice head that produces nice lacing but none are as nice as my kegged beers. The beers I've kegged, which I've also bottled, have great head and lace nicely. Typical brewing style is AG BIAB using tired and true recipes on here.

I know to be careful with beer glasses as they can ruin head but I use the same glasses for each. Could I be doing something wrong when bottling? I wash with oxiclean and sanitize with idophor...the bottles typically do not try 100% before bottling could that be a cause? I use bottling calculators and corn sugar when priming.

I realize how dangerous many of my senteces can be to some on here lol

I should also note I've read the bottling thread and do allow 3+ weeks before drinking.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
EROK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Theoretically a well made bottled beer can have great head and lacing. But I also agree that my kegged beers have better head retention. I would maybe try a 6 wk bottle conditioned beer and see if it was truly at max co2 level. We tend to rush things in bottles and having good carbonation visually may be far from tje right level you primed for. The other thing you could do is add more carapils or wheat malt or flaked barley to bump up the chance for better head. Good Luck!

Chuck Norris is the only person to ever beat Andre the Giant in a drinking contest. And he did it by a two case margin.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Maybe your keg just loves you more

My Beer Cellar

Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews