Johnson Control / Keezer Optimal Temp Setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mringo17

Reaction score
What are folks using for a range and Dif on setup with their Johnson Controls for their Keezer for standard Ales and what not? Not going to be lagering anytime soon in the Keezer.

Thanks!

I like 37 with a 5 degree diff and my temperature probe in the center of the keezer. I've tried tweaking the probe position and differentials, but I find that one is a nice mix of not turning the freezer on constantly and it keeps my beer how i like it.

I like 37 with a 5 degree diff and my temperature probe in the center of the keezer. I've tried tweaking the probe position and differentials, but I find that one is a nice mix of not turning the freezer on constantly and it keeps my beer how i like it.

Does it dip down into the lower 30's when cooling? When i have a high diff like that, its going down to about 33...

Yea, it drops down to 32 at the lowest. Probably a little lower at the bottom of the freezer. I have a thermoworks refrigerator thermometer in the keezer that I check when I hear it turn off and on. It's not at that temp long enough to freeze anything.

My Johnson A419 is set to:

35F
+/- 3F
12 minute Anti Short Cycle Delay (it's an old chest freezer)

The probe is taped to a beer bottle (with painters tape) and the bottle is laying at the lowest (coldest) point in the keezer.

I have only been using the Johnson controller for around four days, but have found so far:

A. Beer temp preferred (by me) at 54F
B. Controller set to cut-out at 52F
C. Differential set to 3F
D. Controller probe hanging in the air in middle of keeper
E. "Beer" reading by temp probe attached the side of keg with plumber's putty

In my 64F'ish basement, my freezer kicks on maybe once a day, and I am seeing a keg temperature fluctuation of less than 1F.

I am sure this will change as the keg empties, and as the weather warms up.

Charlie

I use a different controller, but I set it to 40° with a 2° diff. Controller probe is taped to a 1L bottle full of water to help minimize cycling. Setting the compressor delay to at least 10 min is always a good idea, but it's an absolute must if you're letting the probe hang in the air.

Back