Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First IPA - no carbonation in keg

Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
BenN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First IPA - no carbonation in keg

Hi all -

This is my first post regarding my first home brew.

I bought an IPA kit from The Range after reading pretty good reviews about it. The fermentation stage went well and after a couple of weeks I switched it to a plastic keg I ordered from Wilkinson. After a few weeks in the keg I gave it a try and it was clear it was a few weeks off yet (still very bitter) and flat. I was concerned that the keg might not be great at holding pressure. I understand I can buy a CO2 injector from Wilkinson for 20 to add carbonation. Anyone know if there's a cheaper injector available? I have seen this on eBay and it includes 2 bulbs too. But not sure if it will fit.

In the future I'll probably invest in a better keg. Any recommendations?

Cheers in advance.

Ben

Old 01-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
ilikeguns
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

it sounds like your plastic keg is just a carboy. the only way to carbonate your beer is bottle w/ priming sugar or put it into a metal keg under pressure with a CO2 tank. I'd take a look at the wiki or watch a few videos on youtube to understand the process a little better!

As far as the bitterness.. it's an IPA!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Are you in the UK? Are you talking about a UK pressure barrel keg/fermenter combo unit?

Like these?

If that is the case, unfortunately this is an American forum, and pressure barrels are NOT that common to us. You may have better luck asking questions about working with them on either the English or Australian homebrewing forums. Very few if any of us even know what these things are. I know what they are because I've googled info when folks have come on here. But I have no answers to specific questions.

I don't want to chase you away , but I would post questions about pressure barrels on the Brewuk forums. We can help you with just about everything else about brewing. But specific pressure barrel info is pretty scarce on here.

However in terms of priming a pressure barrel, I would advise you to read this article, it's for priming uk pressure barrel fermenters.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew