going to San Diego, CA for the weekend - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > going to San Diego, CA for the weekend
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
glanville
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Posts: 34


Which beers should I be on the lookout for that I might not normally find in the Midwest?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Paramecium
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 256
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


all of them lol


__________________
Primary~ Empty

Secondary~ Mosaic IPA

Kegged~

Ransack Port Oak Aged RIS

Blood Orange Hefe

Bonne Nuit Saison

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Paramecium
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 256
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


Seriously though. Look for some alpine IPA's, maybe lost abbey and port. It's really hard to go wrong.
__________________
Primary~ Empty

Secondary~ Mosaic IPA

Kegged~

Ransack Port Oak Aged RIS

Blood Orange Hefe

Bonne Nuit Saison

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Brulosopher
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,913
Liked 356 Times on 260 Posts


There really is a lot. I haven't been yet, but the fist place I'll go next time I'm down there is the White Labs Tasting Room.
__________________
Brulosophy is a place to experiment with home brews. If you've had a crazy idea or wondered how something worked please visit us at Brulosophy.com!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Posts: 579
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramecium
Seriously though. Look for some alpine IPA's, maybe lost abbey and port. It's really hard to go wrong.
+1 Alpine Brewing. Hard to find but well worth it. Best thing to do is go to their brewery. Ballast Point, Societe, Mission Brewing, Monkey Paw, Blind Lady, Green Flash, Ale Smith. For food and drink try Pizza Port or OB Noodle House. If you can get a day to come north of SD, there is a dozen breweries off the 78 fwy. I highly suggest Mother Earth and Stone. the drive from SD is only thirty minutes. Bottlecraft is right near the airport on India St. you can find a huge selection of craft brews there. That would be my first stop.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Posts: 579
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by glanville
Which beers should I be on the lookout for that I might not normally find in the Midwest?
Kismet at Mother Earth.
Cali Creamin at Mother Earth.
Shipwreck IPA at Mission Brewery.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
DavidJP
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Riverside, CA
Posts: 153
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
There really is a lot. I haven't been yet, but the fist place I'll go next time I'm down there is the White Labs Tasting Room.

I'd second the recommendation, its great to sample the same beer made with different yeast very enlightening.

http://www.whitelabs.com/tasting_room.html

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
BryceL
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 905
Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
+1 Alpine Brewing. Hard to find but well worth it. Best thing to do is go to their brewery. Ballast Point, Societe, Mission Brewing, Monkey Paw, Blind Lady, Green Flash, Ale Smith. For food and drink try Pizza Port or OB Noodle House. If you can get a day to come north of SD, there is a dozen breweries off the 78 fwy. I highly suggest Mother Earth and Stone. the drive from SD is only thirty minutes. Bottlecraft is right near the airport on India St. you can find a huge selection of craft brews there. That would be my first stop.
You can't go wrong with any of these, plus don't forget to check out Lost Abbey/Port Brewing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
socalhomebrewer
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
San Diego
Posts: 85
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I'm going to have to agree with maddad, stone and Mother Earth are great places. If you like aged (primarily aged Belgians) port/ballast point are good too.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
AllDay
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
San Diego, CA
Posts: 5
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


You will not be disappointed in San Diego when it comes to local beer. If you haven't already found this, here is a map of 45 of the local breweries. http://www.sandiegobrewersguild.org/...12-5-Panel.pdf.

I have been to most, and if I had to pick one, it would be AleSmith. Their Speedway Stout is outstanding. The Stone Brewery is beautiful, and a great place to spend a sunny afternoon, but their beers are probably the most widely distributed of the bunch. Good stuff, but you may have already had it.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extra white wheat + extra flaked oats + San Diego Pale = San Diego HARVEST Pale Ale? pilafdm Recipes/Ingredients 0 11-02-2012 06:04 PM
San Diego International Beer Festival @ the San Diego Fair ThreeTaps South West Homebrew Forum 2 06-25-2010 07:01 PM


Forum Jump